Do you access the forum via iPod iPhone or other mobile device

Rob Keeble

I am interested to hear how you are finding access and use of mobile apps and mobile access to the forum.
I inherited my sons iPod in dec as a result of upgrading him and his phone for Christmas.
I have download and been trying out the forum runner free version app but I dunno about this whole concept.
Seems fine if you just want a glance on activity and seeing what's been posted, however it's not really contribution friendly in my current opinion but that could be a result of several things.
The version of my app, type of app, size of my fingers, ability to type fast with a single finger .
So my jury on this technology is still out pending further education, awareness , evaluation and others experiences.
This kind of reminds me of back in the day when tried out serverall versions of windows CE when it first came out and I bought about 5 of the up handheld computers and a bunch of accessories and even Maximizer to get to use the technology on the road. A great deal has evolved since then but i am still not there yet. Maybe I am expecting too much. It definitely is a big improvement over the old days but????? I am thinking this whole concept is more suited to viewing text monitoring of sound bite one liners than it is for having a conversation or making a meaningful contribution in ones reply.

Would any one care to help bring me into the new age and enlighten me.

Also please share your experience and views.

Thanks

Last edited:
I use Tapatalk, and post from it frequently (including posts with pictures). The only thing I find it doesn't do well is the smileys, but that isn't important.

They also have a free version available.

I agree with you, Rob, that the mobile device isn't the handiest way to do a lot of posting (especially for guys like me and you who like to get a bit wordy from time to time). :whistling:

I've started playing around with the Dragon Dictation app for text messages, and it would also work for forum posts. It saves a lot of typing, but I still end up editing my text to add punctuation and fix words the software didn't recognize. I simply dictate my message, clean it up in the Dragon editor, then copy and paste it into a text message.

On a semi-related subject, at Christmastime some of my nephews were talking about sending a new kind of MMS text message that contained an audio clip from the phone's voice recorder. They were all jazzed that they could send a recording of themselves speaking to someone else. Essentially a verbal text message. I told them before long, we'll be able to send verbal text messages in real time, where the recipient can actually hear your words as you're speaking them. Took my nephews a couple minutes to figure that one out. :p (Then I told them about my new idea for tethered telephones, where there's a springy wire attaching the phone to the wall, making it harder to lose.) :rofl:

I guess I'm still old tech... I use a desk top to access the internet.. no interest in having ANY of the hand held devices... I don't even want a cell phone... the wife carries one and we're together about 90% of the time...

I'm kind of old fashioned myself. I have a cell phone but that's all I use it for. I don't understand the need to have constant access to the internet. I kind of understand people wanting it but I don't understand how most people need it.:dunno::dunno:

I mostly used mine to check in from time to time, but don't do a lot of posting from it as I'm usually at work or in meetings when I'm on it. I also think a lot depends on the device. My android's built in keyboard has voice recognition, so you could pretty much dictate the whole post. It does a good job and learns as you correct it.

Your iPod touch could have such a feature, but it's probably an add-on app that you'll need to purchase as well as a headset that has the mic built in. The headset is handy if you use skype or VOIP to make calls, can then do them from the iPod if you've got a wifi connection.

I told them before long, we'll be able to send verbal text messages in real time, where the recipient can actually hear your words as you're speaking them. Took my nephews a couple minutes to figure that one out. :p (Then I told them about my new idea for tethered telephones, where there's a springy wire attaching the phone to the wall, making it harder to lose.) :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rob
Our 'house' computer is in my son's bedroom, and after a decent hour, I try not to be on the computer so he can get to sleep for school, lately if I'm just checking in , I use forumrunner's $.99 app for iphone/ipod Touch. If I find I'm going to be putting in a wordy response, I drag out my work laptop, but for short replies, or just looking, I find it works well enough.

For other connectivity, facebook, gmail etc... I find that the Touch is more than sufficient for most simple browsing and social networking stuff. I use the calendar and alarm clocks quite a bit, and listen to my audio books. Don't sell it short, if you're not trying for a marathon browse session, it can be a very useful device. And you'll get a lot better on the keyboard the more you use it.

Thanks for the input guys. Vaughn what you said is really funny. Its real fun having lived through and been part of this tech revolution to see these youngsters talk about it. I have yet to find one that can tell me what a gigabyte is and i dont even ask about megabytes never mind kilobytes. Yet all they know is the stranger the word and the bigger the number the more or faster it goes.:D:rofl:

Vaughn i am getting to the Dragon software. I gave it a try way back as a full computer version back in 98. Around then i had to read to it for 45 minutes and it still did not get my accent. I reckon the neural network has moved on since then so i am ready to give it another go. I really think the portable side of it should be cool. Just not sure i like my files being translated and present on someone elses service in a service like that.:dunno:

Thats the thing i dont think the kids have realized yet and that is just how much info about them is being tracked. I just had the itunes computer program wipe out all my songs i put on it because i loaded them via a non itunes program called Copy Trans.

I think i am more of a google open architecture freedom kinda guy. Heck even Dos did not tie you down.

Somehow in the long run i think Apple is making the same mistake it made before creating this ironclad grip they have on everything.
The only thing is with the consumer being dummed down and numb to thinking and chasing a brand they probably going to succeed this time round.

You guys remember the days of Sony Betamax and the VHS video cassettes and more recently the cd disc standards with Blue Ray, well i wonder how long before the games console markets come to their senses.
Although i have seen people with every version of game console in their home which i never saw in the days of Beta and VHS. Either we was poor or dumb or maybe smart.:dunno:

I like it when things just work like the Apple stuff, but i dont like the feeling of being controlled or manipulated to buy from only them and i certainly dont like the idea of having everything i put on an ipod being able to be examined so as to enable them to pump more stuff at me to get me to buy something i dont really need.

But i have got to say that having the ability to read a pdf ebook copy of Garret Hacks plane book while waiting as we do in all sorts of places, well that just makes great sense. No more having to put up with whatever the dentist or doctor has to offer to read. You can take your whole library with you.

Yeah i could get used to this. Need to check out the Android though.;):):D:thumb:

...Yeah i could get used to this. Need to check out the Android though.;):):D:thumb:

I love my iPhone, but when it gets replaced it'll likely be with an Android, for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

I thought I was going to be replacing my iPhone soon, since a few days ago I noticed that the audio jack wasn't working. The plug would go in, but it didn't seat or make any contact. It felt like all the internal contacts were gone, and there was just a hole in the edge of the phone. I was guessing the jack had been pushed into the phone or fallen out of it. Today I dropped by the Apple store at the local mall, and lo and behold the audio jack was packed with debris...looked like wood dust or something. I have no idea how that could have happened. :whistling: :p