question about fencing

Hang on a second........

.......They'll laugh at a six foot plank fence. Then they'll jump right over. :eek:

Thanks,

Bill

Ah, Bill, my friend, they may laugh at a six foot fence, but I don't think they'll laugh at an 8' fence. I suspect, they'll laugh even less if I have something angling out on top, if the 8' doesn't impress them....;)....We are going to use the netting type fence in other places, and in fact, add a few feet of it to existing 5' fencing in other parts of the property, but in the front, there's about 40' readily visible on each side of the intended gate (which will need pillars) and we though it would look ridiculous to have the netting type fence next to stone pillars, so I thought a wood fence would look better.....no?

See? Picture a big gate in the middle.

frontfence.jpg

Homemade hardware cloth "rounds". Works like a charm for chipmunks and rabbits. Rat traps work real well too for chipmunks and squirrels:rofl:

that's pretty much what we were planning on trying this year.. At least I kept 'most' of the rabbits out of the garden last year.... :rofl:

You do realize deer can jump 12 feet or better?:thumb:

Yeah, Chuck, I do, but around here anyway, 6.5' works most of the time. So 8' all around is a good bet, especially when they can eat as much as they like on either side of me or across the street. If 8' doesn't keep them out, I'll add something else to it, either leaning out or a second fence like Peter Lyon says. Whatever it takes. Once I start growing all kinds of rare and subtropical things, anything that messes with my plants has a death wish. :D

If I may offer an analogy, I can still get up on waterskis and a wakeboard, but I try to avoid it like the plague....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

youre approaching the problem the wrong way.
Invite Larry and Dave up there for a few weeks.
without a limit, and a good bow, deer in canada will become an endangered species.

I'm sure you're right about that, Allen, :rofl: :rofl: maybe if I buy the hunting licenses they'll help me with my built-ins? Of course, the way it is now, they don't need a bow. They can sit on my porch or my deck with a slingshot and bag half a dozen/day. Maybe a cougar or a bear too........

Bill, we have one of the motion-activated sprinklers in the corner of our front yard in a futile attempt to keep cats from pooping in our flower beds. The neighbors across the street look forward to watching me mow the front lawn, because 9 out of 10 times, I forget to turn off the Scarecrow. When they hear me start the mower, they actually come outside to watch me walk into "the zone" and get nailed by my own sprinkler. :doh:They are visibly disappointed when when I actually remember to turn off the sprinkler before mowing.

How big an area are you fencing?

About 25 years ago, we had a 6 foot tall fence built of roughsawn hemlock, about 4/4 thick. It lasted many years - about 15 quite well. Had we used pressure treated horizontal braces, it would have lasted longer. It is still up, but as we no longer own the house, I haven't gotten near it in 6 years.

Another good cheap wood is Tamarack, AKA larch. I don't know if these are available in your region. Around here, it sells for $.45 a board foot.

We put a 6' welded wire fence around our vegetable garden. It has, in 6 years, only been jumped over once, which is good enough for me. Our home is on a parcel of what seems to be deer central, with groups of 6-8 a common occurrence

The deer up in Kelowna laugh at an 8' tall fence, the will jump over it just for fun :rolleyes: must have some light weight wimp lower mainland type deer around your parts ;) :rofl:

A regular 6' fence, with a shorter say 3' fence about three or four feet from the 6' fence will work well. If you do go with some electrics, put in some peanut butter flags. Using some double sided carpet tape, attach a piece of tin foil to the fence like a tent roof, on the underside near the peak of the foil tent put some peanut butter. The deer will smell the PB and nose up to it, touch the foil tent and they will quickly learn to stay well away from the electric fence :D :thumb:

How big an area are you fencing?

About 25 years ago, we had a 6 foot tall fence built of roughsawn hemlock, about 4/4 thick. It lasted many years - about 15 quite well. Had we used pressure treated horizontal braces, it would have lasted longer. It is still up, but as we no longer own the house, I haven't gotten near it in 6 years.

Another good cheap wood is Tamarack, AKA larch. I don't know if these are available in your region. Around here, it sells for $.45 a board foot.

We put a 6' welded wire fence around our vegetable garden. It has, in 6 years, only been jumped over once, which is good enough for me. Our home is on a parcel of what seems to be deer central, with groups of 6-8 a common occurrence

Ken, The place is 2 acres roughly the shape of a rectangle, say 350' X 250'. 2 sides or about 500 lineal ft have 5' woven wire fencing already like this. One long side has a 6' cedar fence. You can see a tiny bit of it in the previous photo. That we're going to leave alone for now--we've never seen a deer go over it.

350' = cedar (existing) 6'
250' = woven wire (existing) 5' but will add 3 feet of deer fencing above
325' = woven wire (existing) 5' but will add 3 feet of deer fencing above
missing 25' on one side in heavily treed/bush area.
missing 250' across front but only about 100' is in the open and readily visible.

So I thought we'd do about 80' across the front of wood, then add pillars and gate, and the rest across front and side (another 195' woven wire). We are taking down some cross fencing so I think we can reuse the wire with new posts installed. (yes I'm cheap--rather spend the money on.....tools!) :thumb:

Larch is a good idea, yes, I'm familiar with it. It makes fabulous firewood...burns really hot....don't know if it's available around here. It isn't on the price list I got today from one place. I know it's more available in other parts of BC. Hemlock is a good idea too. I'm a fan of hemlock, but it's the same price as Cedar on my list here...about $3/bf 4/4. I don't suppose I could use green maple from those trees coming down in 2 weeks? :D I doubt it. There are another couple of places I can check tomorrow.

The deer up in Kelowna laugh at an 8' tall fence, the will jump over it just for fun :rolleyes: must have some light weight wimp lower mainland type deer around your parts ;) :rofl:

A regular 6' fence, with a shorter say 3' fence about three or four feet from the 6' fence will work well. If you do go with some electrics, put in some peanut butter flags. Using some double sided carpet tape, attach a piece of tin foil to the fence like a tent roof, on the underside near the peak of the foil tent put some peanut butter. The deer will smell the PB and nose up to it, touch the foil tent and they will quickly learn to stay well away from the electric fence :D :thumb:

Yeah, everybody is light weight wimps around here...people and animals...:)

Ken, The place is 2 acres roughly the shape of a rectangle, say 350' X 250'. 2 sides or about 500 lineal ft have 5' woven wire fencing already like this. One long side has a 6' cedar fence. You can see a tiny bit of it in the previous photo. That we're going to leave alone for now--we've never seen a deer go over it.

350' = cedar (existing) 6'
250' = woven wire (existing) 5' but will add 3 feet of deer fencing above
325' = woven wire (existing) 5' but will add 3 feet of deer fencing above
missing 25' on one side in heavily treed/bush area.
missing 250' across front but only about 100' is in the open and readily visible.

So I thought we'd do about 80' across the front of wood, then add pillars and gate, and the rest across front and side (another 195' woven wire). We are taking down some cross fencing so I think we can reuse the wire with new posts installed. (yes I'm cheap--rather spend the money on.....tools!) :thumb:

Larch is a good idea, yes, I'm familiar with it. It makes fabulous firewood...burns really hot....don't know if it's available around here. It isn't on the price list I got today from one place. I know it's more available in other parts of BC. Hemlock is a good idea too. I'm a fan of hemlock, but it's the same price as Cedar on my list here...about $3/bf 4/4. I don't suppose I could use green maple from those trees coming down in 2 weeks? :D I doubt it. There are another couple of places I can check tomorrow.

So you are fencing in the compound? Starting your own little club? Sect, military?