Brown visited, and it's over my head

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Found this little guy on Amazon this past weekend for $147 w/ free shipping. I'm getting ready to install a metal ceiling in my shop and thought this guy might make the job a bit easier.

Will hold up to a 4' X 16' x 1/2" piece of drywall, so should work well for sheet metal siding.
attachment.php

attachment.php

It lifts to 11' and they have a extension for $40 more that adds 4', didn't get that though.
attachment.php

The ends have outriggers that can be extended to support long pieces, they go to about 32" from each end.
attachment.php

Breaks down to just a few pieces to store.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20110120_195459.jpg
    IMG_20110120_195459.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20110120_202458.jpg
    IMG_20110120_202458.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20110120_200851.jpg
    IMG_20110120_200851.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20110120_200842.jpg
    IMG_20110120_200842.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20110120_200103.jpg
    IMG_20110120_200103.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 115
So, metal ceiling, like the corrugated roofing? and then you'll put insulation on top?

Looks like it will make it a one man job, for sure... :thumb:

So, metal ceiling, like the corrugated roofing? and then you'll put insulation on top?
Yup, and my nephew and brother are demoing an office suite that they are replacing all the lighting in. Has 60 + 4 bulb fixtures with T8's. He's suppose to nab me 20 of them to use too. :) Will be handy for hanging those as well.

Dang, I'm jealous. I want one of those really bad! Congrats!

Was a good price on it with free shipping to boot. Renting one for more than a couple of times would be about the same price. I've rented the one at the orange borg and the wheels are a little cheaper, but everything else appears to be about the same quality.

Here's the one I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Lifter-Professional-11-Foot-Drywall-Hoist/dp/B00149E822/

Hi Darren you are gonna find that quiet handy. Ibought the exact same one from the same guys and had delivered to my door.
Used it to do my shop drywall which btw is 5/8 inch and double layer and to add to my difficulty my ceiling is not flat but follows the scissors truss.
If that was not enough I the raw rookie drywaller ordered 11ft length.
It handled it all.
The only thing i think are junk on it are the wheels. But they worked out with some force behind them. I had started out hiring from the hd but iwould have been a major home depot shareholder by the time I finished my dry wall if I had not bought it. For the diy it's perfect and I plan to use when Ivey round to finishing my basement. There is no way the hiring aspect works for this application if you cannot complete your project in a few hours. At the end of my use I will still sell it here and recover my input cost.
Just a word of caution, you do need a helper to load if you sheets are long and heavy. With the extensions out it took the 11 rooters. But those casters don't brake well so when you on your own as I often was it can be a one man challenge. It also allowed me to tilt and put the drywall upat an angle .
All round would say I would have very quickly given up and hired drywall pros without it.

Enjoy it just get a little familiar with it first it can cause injury if you ain't careful when you have it high up and loaded.

Just a word of caution, you do need a helper to load if you sheets are long and heavy. With the extensions out it took the 11 rooters. But those casters don't brake well so when you on your own as I often was it can be a one man challenge. It also allowed me to tilt and put the drywall upat an angle .
All round would say I would have very quickly given up and hired drywall pros without it.

Enjoy it just get a little familiar with it first it can cause injury if you ain't careful when you have it high up and loaded.

Will do, have done 12' sheets by myself many times. I used to hang professionally, wouldn't do that again without one of these now though. I've also rented them before, so I'm pretty familiar with them. As for the wheels, they should work for the steel I'm hanging just fine, it's just awkward for it's size, not heavy. I can always replace them or weld up sturdier mounts for different ones down the road. :wave:

I ordered one after you posted the link last week and must say it's a great price. I suspect that if I ever get done with it it can be sold on Craig List...

Shipping would have cost me half that from most places. And my Amazon Prime got it here quick and in one piece but the box was completely open un-banded.

Garry

I ordered one after you posted the link last week and must say it's a great price. I suspect that if I ever get done with it it can be sold on Craig List...

Shipping would have cost me half that from most places. And my Amazon Prime got it here quick and in one piece but the box was completely open un-banded.

Garry

I've seen several going on CL for $125 to $150, even the same as I have for $350.

My box was pretty tore up too. Brown even dumped it on the ground and I tore him a new one and pointed out the "handle with care" tag. Had a couple of places that the powder coat was chipped, but nothing I was going to complain about.

Ok, Larry busted me on how I got 12' sheets on a ceiling by myself. I did cheat a bit, too much flex in a 12'. It's not easy to use a "T" post by yourself.

I used to use cleats, four 1/2" pieces of plywood cut about 4" X 6". On one long side I'd screw two of them on the adjoining piece overlapping about 1". about 49" over I'd screw the others offset, where once the piece was against the joist I could flip them around to support that side. This would leave both hands free to run screws in and cut holes for boxes.

How to get the sheet up there...muscle mostly, but as long as you lifted the piece one side up it would stay pretty straight, just get where you're touching the two stationary cleats first with the top edge. As you lay the piece flat, just roll the sheet over the stationary cleats. The two rotating cleats have to be within arms length each direction from you to hold with one hand and rotate those cleats with the other, switching hands respectively for the other side of you (if that makes sense).

For along the walls, I'd typically use a 2x4 screwed into the wall stud about 3/4" from the ceiling joist instead of plywood, but still used the rotating cleats on the outer edge.

I've seen several going on CL for $125 to $150, even the same as I have for $350.

My box was pretty tore up too. Brown even dumped it on the ground and I tore him a new one and pointed out the "handle with care" tag. Had a couple of places that the powder coat was chipped, but nothing I was going to complain about.

Well actually I don't know how my driver got it to where he did. I have a very steep drive and we had a skiff of snow and ice. You could see his feet were slipping all the way and he or the box had hit the ground about half way up. And my box said team lift only and I am sure UPS didn't send any help..

All in all I'd say they went above and beyond here....
Garry