Thread: Dado Set Sharpening....?

Dado Set Sharpening....?

I have this....

>> Dimar 8" Dado Set <<

...... and I need to get it sharpened.
    I'm wondering what you guys pay to have an 8" dado set sharpened? I have every confidence that my sharpening guys can do it, but I'm just wondering what they are going to ding me for

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu you still using the guy in Yokohama? I also need to get some blades done. I would likely be a little worried about the price too. He might ding you full price for each blade. Dado sets are not common here.

My blade guy charges so much for each blade or chipper, and so much per tooth. I can't tell you what it costs to have my set sharpened as I never pay attention to what I pay. Typically I give him a dado stack, a half dozen blades, some inserts, and router bits all at once. I think my bill is typically around $150.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Reid View Post
    Stu you still using the guy in Yokohama? I also need to get some blades done. I would likely be a little worried about the price too. He might ding you full price for each blade. Dado sets are not common here.
    Yep, the guys in Yokohama are still my go to guys, they were recommended by Tenryu, so they must be good, and they are an industrial sharpening shop, not a guy in his garage. Nothing against the guys in their garages, they are often very good, but they lack the needed equipment to do any sharpening, I know that these guys can sharpen just about everything.

I need to send them some planer blades too (I keep on sharp set on hand) so I guess I'll just box them all up and send them, see what it costs me

I used the dado set tonight and yeah, it is dull, dull, dull, lots of tear out

I too do not know the actual break down of each blade, I send a handful at a time and just pay the bill.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yep, the guys in Yokohama are still my go to guys, they were recommended by Tenryu, so they must be good, and they are an industrial sharpening shop, not a guy in his garage. Nothing against the guys in their garages, they are often very good, but they lack the needed equipment to do any sharpening, I know that these guys can sharpen just about everything.

I need to send them some planer blades too (I keep on sharp set on hand) so I guess I'll just box them all up and send them, see what it costs me

I used the dado set tonight and yeah, it is dull, dull, dull, lots of tear out

I too do not know the actual break down of each blade, I send a handful at a time and just pay the bill.

Cheers!
    The guy at this site uses small blades for dados, I have usually tried to use a router if I can. My dado set didn't do a very good job from the getgo. I think I liked my old wobble better than the set I bought.

http://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/dado.html

I know I offered nothing to the question but maybe some food for thought for some...

Garry

from my sharpeners old price list (1995), $8.50 per blade , that's a 40T and $3 for the chippers. Probably closer to $30- $40 for the set these days.
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    The guy at this site uses small blades for dados, I have usually tried to use a router if I can. My dado set didn't do a very good job from the getgo. I think I liked my old wobble better than the set I bought.

I know I offered nothing to the question but maybe some food for thought for some...

Garry
    The smaller blade ides is interesting, but, with my SawStop, it would not work
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post

Very interesting but you are not going to get a flat bottom? At the blades I use have a staggered teeth. Also wonder about the tolerances on the blade dia's and arbor holes. But it does have my curious.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits