Thread: Plastic Box

S E Washington State

Plastic Box

I had a piece of wood that was soooo punky I just couldn't hold it together, but it is so pretty I just couldn't give up on it. So, I decided to give a try at casting it. I roughed it out as best I could, soaking it with wood hardener as I went. Made a mold out of a plastic container. I put a small container inside (pill bottle) so I would waste as much Alumilite. Poured it and stuck it in my pressure pot for a few hours. Than I did the same with what was left of the lid. Then I turned it. I ended up with this little plastic box! My wife doesn't like the "plastic" look. I haven't made up my mind yet. No matter it was fun.
    "We the People ......"

Los Angeles, CA
    Interesting technique. Not sure if I like the way it looks but interesting anyway.

Kansas City, Missouri
    It's kinda cool. Reminds me of the bugs and scorpions encased in plastic, I dont' mean that in a cheesy way. It's cool to see something like that up close and appreciate it the way it is.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
    Nice save Dave!
    I like it.
    Well done.

Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Yes, very pretty wood and a resourceful way to save it. You created something unique.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I like it....unusual....good save....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

1 hour north of Toronto
    sounds like a similar technique they use to make pens out of uncommon materials. I love the wood, what is it?

Reno, Nv
    That'll get ya a nomination to the "How'd they do that" Hall of Fame!! The box is really cool...but the plastic on the nob...ehhhh. That's really the only thing giving it away as made in ROC. Good job on the casting! No easy feat!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots