Thread: square cups??

square cups??

I recently watched two different travel shows about Japan. In both they showed folks drinking sake from these square, wood box-like cups. Kinda uneek and impractical to my eyes..... but when in Rome, or Toyko.....

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Wood-Sa.../dp/B0006LRSX0
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've had sake out of those types of cups before and it's not quite as impractical as it seems. Fascinating little boxes, and very tightly made...

Japan has a very old culture Frank, and the square cup, called a "Masu" is actually a very good idea for a time long ago when they wanted to have a standardized measure for goods. If you make a square cup, that has the same inside measurements, it does not matter who makes the cup they will hold the same amount of product.

The small cups you saw are a small version of the real Masu used for measuring such things as rice, or sake. In fact the name of my liquor shop, "Masutoh" the first character in the name is that same "Masu"

Before the advent of the metric system Japan had it's own units of measure, for liquids it was based on a "Sho" which is 1.8L or just under half a US gallon. That is why Sake comes in an "I-sho-bin" (said ee-show-bin) as that means "One sho sized bottle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masu-1-s.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	53345
    Back to why the square box, it standardized units of measure.
    The pic above shows the sizes in centimeters the size of one sho box, notice how odd the sizes are, that is because they had a different unit of measure for length etc back then too

The smaller square boxes you see on TV are used for fun, hearkening back to an older time.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Fun?
    Yep, they had fun drinking the sake.
    One of the shows was Anthony Bourdain in Osaka. He isn't shy about drinking before, with and after dinner.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Somehow, I knew Stu would have a good Explain... Thanks.