A minor kitchen update in progress

Carl Goreth

I am slowly updating our kitchen, fixing up the cabinets, new appliances, new tile counter, etc.

Here's the before - I can't find the rest so you'll have to imagine the entire kitchen like this and combine with the after shots. Cabinets were originally dark stained ash, particle board shelves and inside dividers. Prior owner had painted them, and not very well at that.

I stripped all the finish off, removed the door molding, stained with pickled-oak (as per wife's instructions). I also replaced all shelves with ply and added pullouts in the lowers. New tile (my first counter, not too bad) took a while but my wife is really happy with it.

I also took the peninsula and re-worked it to make standard 48" base cabinet as my wife had touble reaching the uppers over it. I am designing an island to replace the counter we lost. The island will be on wheels, and have an extented counter for a breakfast bar.

The pantry actually I got from my neighbor, who had their kitchen redone and the contractor was nice enough to carry their old cabinets over to my garage. Most are used there for storage but we wanted the extra pantry in the kitchen so I fixed it up with pullouts and re-finished it to match.

Next up are the island, backsplash, paint and new flooring. Oh yea, some molding, too.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great Carl, you have certainly improved your kitchen, and that your wife is happy, well that is just fantastic! :clap:

I had an apartment with a tile counter top, I hated that thing, you could NEVER get the grout lines clean, they always looked bad. This was a counter made up of the 4" tiles, so maybe your 12" (?) tiles will not be so bad?

Thanks for posting!

Cheers!

As I am in the middle of my kitchen remake, I can sympathize with the work you have gone through to make such a transformation. Good job, enjoy the fruits of your labor, looks to be an excellent redo.

I had an apartment with a tile counter top, I hated that thing, you could NEVER get the grout lines clean, they always looked bad. This was a counter made up of the 4" tiles, so maybe your 12" (?) tiles will not be so bad?

My wife loves tile so that's what we went with. 12" Italian we found at a local tile place. They even had a display counter made of it with the tiles set on a diagnal and decided to install ours that way, too. We have picked out the backsplash, some custom tiles from a local place along with a few accent pieces, but haven't ordered them yet. Still deciding on paint colors.

Our old counter was 4" tiles set in a mortar bed and it held up well, whoever installed it knew what they were doing. The grout looked good after 27 years except around the sink. The main problem was the tiles were cheap and the finish had worn off in many places, even areas that didn't seem to get much use.