Honduran rosewood burl

I was lucky enough to get a some of this wood, and here's what I managed from a piece of it. I didn't really have a plan going into this piece, but I like the way it turned out. It's about 5 inches tall and finished with shellac sealer, BLO, and wipe on poly. The last photo was taken 'after the fact', and I think the color is actually better than when I used the photo tent... Go figure.

Comment and criticism welcome.
HRB-Hf-1.jpgHRB-HF2.jpgHRB-HF3.jpgHRB-HF-4.jpgHRB-HF5.jpg

Man, David, that's sweet. Pretty wood, and I really like the teardrop form. I don't remember...what's hollowing tool do you use?

Very nice. I just don't understand how you can turn things with voids like that and not destroy them. Definitely an art and some skill required to do that! :thumb:

Thanks to all for the kind words.

...what's hollowing tool do you use?

I've got a monster system, but the bar is too bulky for this one... I think the effective opening on this is about 3/4-1 inch. I did this with drill bit hollowing tools(ala Jeff Nicol), allen wrench tools, various scrapers, and a Sorby swan neck midi hollower. I'd guess you might say that I don't really have a system figured out... I kind of just try something, and if it doesn't work, I try something else.

Man, that must have been pretty puckerific with freehand tools. :eek:

I made myself a set of 1/2" boring bars that attach to my Monster rig. They're real handy for smaller openings. Of course, I'm sure Randy could make some on request, too. (And they'd be a lot nicer.) :D