Honing paper wheels

The professional knife sharpening guys in the Yahoo Tormek User Group say good things about the paper wheels.

Mohammad, I suspect the slower grinder would still work, just slower.

Also called EZ Sharp or. I have a set. When new they sharpened beautifully. I had found sharpening heaven. The dullest knife could be shaving sharp in about 30 seconds. But, when I recharged the sharpening wheel it just didn't come out as good as originally. Maybe I'll redo it but for now the set is retired.

I just made my own from some thick MDF, I soaked the edge with some thin oil and then put the green polishing compound on it, works very well :dunno:

I just made my own from some thick MDF, I soaked the edge with some thin oil and then put the green polishing compound on it, works very well :dunno:

This set comes with a sharpening wheel and a honing wheel.
The sharpening wheel has some kind of hard grit glued to it and covered with a hard wax that the user restores periodically.
The honing wheel comes with a stick of white compound that it applied now and then.

I have made honing wheels also from leather. I just bolt together several thicknesses of heavy scrap leather, charge with compound and go at it. I don't try to make the pieces very round as the spinning kinda 'rounds out' the corners and eventually it does get round with use. (my KISS system at work :rolleyes: )