Setting up a Drill Press

Okay, so I'm putting together my drill press.

It probably seems like a no-brainer to everyone, but I've never had a drill press, so it's Greek to me.

So I got the pulleys lined up. The photo is distorted, but they are all in line.

dp1.jpg

Got it together, and no it won't stay on that rug. I have to make some kind of stand for it. It's too tippy for my taste.

dp2.jpg

But I have a couple of questions. First one is it comes with a vise. Where, how, and when do I use that vise? I assumed I would just clamp work to the little table, or do I need a bigger table for it?

dp3.jpg

Last question is, the instruction book says to put the chuck on and lower the spindle? to the table (pressing it into the table) "until the chuck is on tight". Uhhhhhh how tight is tight? And if it's real tight then how am I gonna get it off? :rofl: Do all DP's have chucks that attach like that?

thanks all

...But I have a couple of questions. First one is it comes with a vise. Where, how, and when do I use that vise? I assumed I would just clamp work to the little table, or do I need a bigger table for it?

Last question is, the instruction book says to put the chuck on and lower the spindle? to the table (pressing it into the table) "until the chuck is on tight". Uhhhhhh how tight is tight? And if it's real tight then how am I gonna get it off? :rofl: Do all DP's have chucks that attach like that?...

The vise is handy for holding smaller pieces, but for larger things, you're right...just clamp it to the table. In some cases, clamping isn't necessary, though. It depends what you're drilling and how big of hole you're making. If ever in doubt, clamp it.

Once the chuck is installed, chances are you'll never need to remove it. If you do, it's usually done with a bit of brute strength and awkwardness, along with a special little forked tool that may or may not have come with the drill press. So...by "tight", they mean "real dang tight".

Congrats Cynthia!

I've probably injured myself on the drill press more than any other tool in my shop because I would take the risk of not clamping stuff down. A drill press has a really neat way of teaching you that lesson by grabbing whatever it is you are drilling freehand and suddenly spinning it right into your hand that you were using to hold the piece down...:D

I've got a little quick clamp thing I use now that works great. Just a little post that bolts to the table with a quick cam clamp that holds the work piece for me.

Brent brings up a good point. I've also hurt myself worse with a drill press than any other tool. Don't let this happen to you...

Drill Press Glove 1 800.jpg Drill Press Glove 3 800.jpg

I'll spare you the pics of what my hand looked like. ;) I was very lucky to have not done more damage than I did. This was the result of not clamping the piece down, and also holding the piece with a gloved hand. :doh:

Where, how, and when do I use that vise?

I've never had a vise like that, but I bet the day will come when nothing ... else ... will ... do, and you'll be glad you have it. :dunno:

the instruction book says to put the chuck on and lower the spindle? to the table (pressing it into the table) "until the chuck is on tight".

Yeah ... kinda counter-intuitive when you look at the taper and it looks like it's tapering the wrong way. :huh:

Uhhhhhh how tight is tight? And if it's real tight then how am I gonna get it off? :rofl: Do all DP's have chucks that attach like that?

Like Vaughn said, pretty tight. The first time the chuck falls off while in use is a real reality-wrencher. :eek: But! Before you get it on too tight, consider buying a keyless chuck that will fit the same taper. I guess they're not for everyone, and some might object to having keyless chuck on a DP ... but I love it!

Yes, as far as I know, all DP's have chucks that mount with tapers.

I've got a little quick clamp thing I use now that works great. Just a little post that bolts to the table with a quick cam clamp that holds the work piece for me.

Yep ... fiddling with C-clamps gets old. If you have another solution, like Brent's quick-clamp, go for it. (Can you show a pic Brent?)

Last edited:
As far as seating the MT (Morse Taper), Use some mineral spirits to clean any grease or oil off of the chuck side and wad up some paper towels to clean up the inside of the morse taper. Any grit or gunk could lead to it not seating right, coming off later, or being a bit out of round before you put it up there...

(Probably too late for this advice, huh? Well if it falls off, try and remember.)

Yeah, Kerry, that's what I was worrying about...does the chuck ever just *fall* *off*? :rofl:

Vaughn, and others, I had no idea you can get hurt so easily......:eek:

Frank, I have to get a lathe before I can start making pens ;)

Steve, I'll have a look at your table.

Brent, I'll be careful and clamp everything. I already learned that lesson with the miter saw.

What's a keyless chuck and why is it great to have one?

thanks all for the input.

...What's a keyless chuck and why is it great to have one?...

In the olden days, pretty much any chuck required a key to tighten or loosen it, The key is the little black thing that meshes with the gears on the chuck to open and close it:

480.3153.jpg

These days, you can get chucks that don't require a key. They are tightened and loosened by gripping the body of the chuck in two places (the knurled areas) and turning things by hand:

480.1660.jpg

The keyless chucks can be more convenient, making it faster to open or close the chuck, but in my opinion (and with my weak hands), the keyed chucks are easier to get tight. I have a keyless chuck on my drill press, and sometimes I have trouble getting it tight enough to hold the bit without slipping, especially with larger-diameter bits.

A drill press has a really neat way of teaching you that lesson by grabbing whatever it is you are drilling freehand and suddenly spinning it right into your hand that you were using to hold the piece down...:D

Cynthia,

Remember that old Mark Twain quote: "A man who picks up a cat by the tail discovers things he can learn in no other way!" :rofl:

Same with drill presses. It's worth thinking of Mark Twain every time you use it. It can get really exciting real fast... :doh::eek:

Thanks,

Bill

Our very own Tod Evans once told us how to put that chuck on so it will not come off again, unless you want it to, clean it, then spit on to the MT part, and then press the chuck on. Your spit will make those two surfaces mate for life, but with a small amount of heat and the fork tool, you can remove the chuck if need be. :D

Look >> here << if you can see how to remove it, maybe you will understand how to install it :dunno:

tapered-spindle-chuck-removal.jpg

MT removal wedges

Congrats Cynthia!

I've probably injured myself on the drill press more than any other tool in my shop because I would take the risk of not clamping stuff down. A drill press has a really neat way of teaching you that lesson by grabbing whatever it is you are drilling freehand and suddenly spinning it right into your hand that you were using to hold the piece down...:D

Been there, done that, probably gonna go again..:rofl:. it's a wonder I have a thumb left on my left hand as many times as it's been whacked by some spinning piece of wood I'm trying to drill with an over sized drill bit and thinking I can just hold this ... it won't take but a second to drill it through... :rofl:

Good advice here. You put it together with the long dimension up and down so you're way ahead :D. The vice will come in handy for small items but should be attached or clamped down to assure safety (See Vaughn's Post). Things that will make your DP more enjoyable:

Bolt it to the floor or build a ballast-base for it. I built a base, filled it with plastic wrapped dry cement mix, bolted the base to it and put the whole hing on a mobile base. It is California earthquake proof but in truth, I have never moved it and the mobile base is basically stored under it :rolleyes:.

DP-Add-Ons.jpg.jpgDP-Add-Ons.jpg (1).jpgDP-Add-Ons.jpg (2).jpgDP-Add-Ons.jpg (3).jpg

Even the nice table mine came with had room for improvement. I had planned to build my own but, Woodpecker closed these out and no longer makes them (big mistake on their part IMHO).

DP-Add-Ons.jpg (4).jpg

Dust collection is a must the way I use a table so I did this:

DP-Add-Ons.jpg (6).jpgDP-Add-Ons.jpg (5).jpg

There are many variations on this on the forum. The suction is via a black-friday shop-vac that gates between this DP and my smaller bandsaw.

Speaking of keeping things held down. T-tracks in the table are great for holddowns. I use this do-jobber for small parts (See Vaughn's post again).

DP holddown-v2 005.jpgDP holddown-v2 002.jpg

I'm not picking on Vaughn. During a visit to his house, I launched a small turning blank by doing something stupid on his bandsaw. Just a reminder that we can all have "that moment".

I have to make some kind of stand for it. It's too tippy for my taste.

:huh::huh::huh:
I've had a floor standing DP for a number of years. (Mastercraft, Canadian Tire special...;) ) It sits on the factory base on the concrete floor of my basement shop. It has never tipped, or shown any inclination to tip.

Yes, it is a bit top-heavy, but the weight is directly over the base and it stays there nice and solid.

Just the other week I was swinging it around (see this thread) and it was pretty easy to lean a bit and pivot on the corner to a different orientation.

So if you want a base, go ahead. But you could just try it out as is for a few months and see how you feel after using it a while.

Yeah, Kerry, that's what I was worrying about...does the chuck ever just *fall* *off*? :rofl:

In a word "yes"... I have an el lesser expensivito DP from HF that I've had for years... it's been a work horse, but also sometimes a problem... the motor is kinda small as I've stopped it a few times with some bits... won't turn a 2" forstner at all... but I've had the chuck just drop off a couple of time... I just make sure the taper is clean and the inside of the chuck where the taper goes is clean and reseat it with a couple of whacks from a dead blow hammer. Hate in when it falls off with a spade bit in it... usually lands point down, but so far has missed my toes... I've gotten pretty good at dancing when things start to fall towards my feet. :D

Last edited:
How I install a chuck: Thoroughly clean the taper and the inside of the chuck (q-tips help), then apply a thin coat of some kind of lubricant. Completely retract the jaws and put the chuck on the taper, then give the bottom of the chuck (where the jaws come out) a few whacks with a rubber mallet.

I've never had a chuck come off spontaneously, but it's still relatively easy to get back off if needed. If you don't use the lube, you might as well weld it on :)

Cliff