Thread: what to use

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

what to use

I'm making a cane for a guy at works uncle. He wants me to ether carve or do a inlay of a tree on it. the uncles nickname is TREE. I'm thinking of doing the inlay using a two part exposy. Just not sure what's the best thing to add to the exposy to turn it white. The cane is cherry with spalted maple high lights and i want something to stand out after the cherry darkens over the years.
    I'm thinking about taking some holly and setting up a capture system for the belt sander. Sand it down to fine dust and using that. What do ya all think? Or should i go with some thing else? I don't have any where to go to buy a filler closer than 125 miles away (1way) so it would be at least 250 mile trip to Memphis or Nashville.
    Headed out to the shop now to start the dremal work so will be checking back in off and on through out the day. Thanks as always and have a good one.
    Steve
    Last edited by Stephen Bellinger; 01-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.

The only other thing I can think of that you might have on hand is white chalk.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Holly dust sounds like a fine way to go.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

If the epoxy is not clear it will alter the color of the Holly.
    Barbara

Thanks all. I'll go make up some dust and at least have it ready for when i get it dremaled out.

I'm with Chuck. I'd use chalk dust. It's a purer white than the holly, and will stay that way, while the holly will darken with age.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I'm with Chuck. I'd use chalk dust. It's a purer white than the holly, and will stay that way, while the holly will darken with age.
    After talking to larry i think i'll make up a couple samples and see which i like best. Thanks for the help every one.