Finally Did IT! Why Did I Wait?

Paul Douglass

Been having allergy problems that are getting worse the more I get into wood turning. I have been wanting to improve my ability to pick up dust when sanding. I've been thinking about it for several months but just kept finding other things to do. Yesterday I got busy and made this arm to adjust my dust collector on. Really works great. I can put it right up where the dust is now.

Attachments

• sIMG_2658.JPG
    sIMG_2658.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 118
It seems that the older I get the more sinus problems I get. turn or no turn.
I'm going to bear down on the dust collection, get an arishield and LEAVE the shop filter on! Good effort on your own behalf.

Paul,

My lathe DC works pretty well. I should not have said "Pretty" because yours sure looks better than mine.

Pics attached.

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. If yours really works, I will clean up my act.

Mine works great for dust from sanding. I don't try to collect chips/shavings when turning. Using the reverse for sanding has also helped some because the dust is thrown away from me. Now it is thrown away and into the DC.

Finally I did it

So far I don't have any breathing problems,but my sinuses were no happy with all that dust,so I got the trend,then a DC.but this yr I upgraded my DC to twice the power,was 650 cfm's to over 1200.so it should be even better.I have seen folks with COPD turning away,sanding an all an keep saying,one day I may get a DC or respirator :dunno: anyway your looking good there an always remember DC's an respirators are a bit pricey,but not as pricey as an iron lung.

I want to add I also purchased one of the Resp-O-Rators a couple months ago and try to use it (I keep forgetting to but it on). It helps quite a bit also, although I sure not near what a Trend does. The two problems I have with set up are, the nose plug doesn't shut my nostrils as tight as I would, like I keep working on adjusting them. When I use it a few minutes I start getting slobber coming out the port and down the front of my shirt! This doesn't give me a very sophisticated appearance! Not me in the picture..

Attachments

• respirator.JPEG
    respirator.JPEG
    102.8 KB · Views: 8