Quick and Easy Step Stool, Ideas Please

Stuart Ablett

I need to build a quick and easy step stool for the Monster-in-Law for the L shop. She had this ratty old battered box that she used to stand on to reach taller shelves, when we did the renovation, I made sure that old box was on the disposal truck when it left :D

Now she is whinging something fierce to get another one, but I would rather build a two step stool, has to be small, sturdy, and quick to build.

Can anyone point me to a good plan?

Cheers!

This is what I came up with.....

SN3D1070.jpg

That is the first try, I soon realized that it was a bit tippy and needed some splay out back, so I modified it a bit......

SN3D1071.jpg

SN3D1072.jpg

SN3D1073.jpg

It is made out of the lousy lumber core plywood, and the edge strips are Ash, Akagashi (a type of Oak) and Keyaki (Japanese Elm).

I had some of that high friction tape, so I added it, just to be on the safe side.

We shall see what she says about it, I'm sure she will complain:rolleyes:

Here's mine from 5 years ago.
It sees almost daily use in the kitchen and is still solid.
The wood has retained it's colour, so we still get the nice contrast between the Maple and Jatoba.

Tipping has never been an issue. The fact that it is from 7/8 stock probably helps there, as it adds to the weight. I think mine is also wider than yours.

Looks good to me Stu? Too heavy? I'd think it's a lot safer than an old box... :thumb:

Last edited:
Put an inch wide by four inch long slot between the non-skids on the top step for her to use as a carry handle. Maybe that'll make her happier. (Like that's really gonna happen...:rofl: )

This is what I came up with.....

SN3D1070.jpg

That is the first try,

We shall see what she says about it, I'm sure she will complain:rolleyes:

Brilliant first try - right down to every support board. (This one has been in use for almost 10 years without a stability problem). Overall 16 inches wide, each step is about 8 inches high, 6 inches deep.
StoolSink1514.jpg

You were also great at hiding the "break away" part ... so the legs come off when she gets too crabby. Clever how you added the braces at the back - I bet that is part of the break-away mechanism.

Here's Mine

Here's the one I made for my then 2 year old grandson. It is heavy on purpose so he is less likely to flip it over. You can't see it, but the back is angled out several degrees to add to its stability.

Attachments

• Step_stool_3-1-09_003_copy.gif
    Step_stool_3-1-09_003_copy.gif
    120.1 KB · Views: 17
Here's the one I made for my then 2 year old grandson. It is heavy on purpose so he is less likely to flip it over. You can't see it, but the back is angled out several degrees to add to its stability.

Looks great Pete, I'm sure he loves it :thumb:

I should have had the back of mine cant out a few degrees too, but I thought of it too late, thus the additional triangular piece.

Tie a couple of heilium ballons to it Stu that should help with the weight.:rofl: Oh I guess I should ask if she has a sence of humor. :rolleyes::D
It looks good Stu. Maybe she just wants something like this or this.

Attachments

• t_pid_5304-Amish-Wooden-Step-Stool-Bench---Hickory-Slot-10.jpg
    t_pid_5304-Amish-Wooden-Step-Stool-Bench---Hickory-Slot-10.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 8
  • imagesCA6CSU1L.jpg
    imagesCA6CSU1L.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 8