Thread: Battery Chargers

Battery Chargers

I'm needing to pickup a battery charger to keep my tractor battery charged. In this colder weather it takes quite a bit to get the tractor started and I've had to jump it the past few times.

I can pickup a small trickle charger, but would rather have a larger charger. Do the newer larger chargers have a cut-off where I can leave a larger charger plugged in all the time as a trickle charger?

What else should I look for in one?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Be sure that the voltages match--don't leave a 12 volt charger hooked up to a 6 volt battery. Finding one that kicks down to a trickle shouldn't be a problem. I got a very good charger for cheap on the Sam's Club auction site.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    Be sure that the voltages match--don't leave a 12 volt charger hooked up to a 6 volt battery.
    Nope, got a 12 volt tractor.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Most of the better chargers sense the level of charge in the battery, and taper down to 'trickle' automatically.

I keep a "Battery Tender" trickle going on my tractor all winter, and have never had a failure to start. OEM battery (6 month warranty) actually lasted six years, because of that littl charger (at least I think that's what helped it last.)
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I keep the battery tender on my small tractor all winter. Never failed to start when I wanted it to. I also had one on my old corvette. kept the battery charged all winter.

I don't have the vette but I still have the Battery tender. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you want.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I keep the battery tender on my small tractor all winter. Never failed to start when I wanted it to. I also had one on my old corvette. kept the battery charged all winter.

I don't have the vette but I still have the Battery tender. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you want.
    I appreciate the offer Bob! I picked up a charger on the way home tonight that has the float/charge option. Thanks anyway!
    Darren

I keep the battery tender on my boat, they have a model that keeps two batteries at the same time.
    http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...5918988&sr=8-9

first purchase with an amazon credit card got $40 credit back!

Tony, BCE '75

another vote for the battery tender. We have it installed on our generator at work How silly is that? Work great!