Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It felt SOOOO good!

It felt SOOOO good!

Well it's been a little over two months since I've been able to work. I decided that this morning that would change. I haven't actually gotten clearance from my doctor but unless he's willing to start paying my bills, I don't have a choice. Things are getting REAL tight and I've got to get back to work!

I've got pretty much full range of motion in my bad shoulder and the pain isn't really bad either. Actually I wouldn't even classify it as pain, it's more discomfort than anything. It's not even that bad either. I should be able to do 85% of the things I need to do in order to get this job finished. I've got offers of help to do the portion that I can't.

I started at about 9:00 this morning and got all of the demo done and it's just about ready for the next phase. It looks like this job shouldn't take too long after all. Once this one's done, I can start beating the streets looking for more but I need to get this one completed and off of my mind. The customer has been MORE than understanding and accommodating in letting me heal up before getting it started.

If felt GREAT to get back to some sort of normality in my life. Finishing this job and being able to move on and line up some more work will really help my overall state of mind. I only put in about 6-1/2 hours today but I got to a good breaking point and their 6 month old twins really needed a nap. I decided to knock off early and let them get some sleep. I figure it's better to start slow and not overdo it anyway.

It's nice to be back in the world of the working.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Glad your back at it John but take it easy ans don't push yourself, listen to your body and when it says it time to quite then quit.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Good for you, John. But please take it easy and don't overdo it....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Glad your back at it John but take it easy ans don't push yourself, listen to your body and when it says it time to quite then quit.
    Exactly what Don said. I know it feels great to be back to work.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Go git 'em John but don't git 'em too much. Your body will tell you when to quit and pay attention when it does. Best to you.

Good news but take it easy.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thanks folks!

I'm going to take it easy and work back into it slowly. This job is a fairly simple 12x20 family room remodel. Today I removed the paneling from the walls. Very light and easy work. Tomorrow I've got to install four recessed cans and that's also very easy. Once that's done, I just have to install a couple ceiling speakers for the rear channel of his surround sound system. When all that is done, I have to run the wires in the front wall for the front and center channels. Then it will be ready for drywall. I've got a buddy that said he'd hang the board for me. Actually, if he holds it in place I can run the screw gun. When the board is up, I can tape and sand it. I'm left handed and it's the right shoulder that I broke.

I really need to get back to work and start making some money. Things are getting very tight and that's not fun. It's screwing me up in other ways by causing me to lose sleep and be stressed out all the time. If I can start working toward something normal again, it will help me physically AND mentally.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

John, What kind of ceiling speakers are you installing? I'm getting ready to install an entertainment center and now would be the time for me to do something like that, rather than later...

To tell you the truth, at this point I really don't know. I'm going over there tomorrow to install the lighting. A little while ago I was just thinking about the speaker wiring. I know he's got all of the equipment because it came in right about the time I got hurt. I'll take a look and let you know.

I've got to find out anyway because I think he said something about some type of box that they may need to be installed in. I may have to fabricate something to put up there above the drywall. That makes sense. It seems like it would be acoustically better that way.

I'll let you know.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post

John, What kind of ceiling speakers are you installing? I'm getting ready to install an entertainment center and now would be the time for me to do something like that, rather than later...
    I'd be interested as well, got some wall warts, but would rather put in ceiling speakers.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault