Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your dust collector

Your dust collector

I was at Rockler watching the sawstop demo when I noticed the Delta 50-760 dust collector for sale for $329. Even after tax, their price is cheaper than Amazon's.

I came home and did some research but could not conclude if this was the right unit for me.

What do you guys have for dust collection. Give me the good, the bad and the ugly about your unit.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

I have that unit with a catridge filter and I have zero problems with it.
    Seems to me to have a strong suction, but from what I understand, I still need a cyclone unit to improve my dust collection

I have the Harbor Freight "2 hp" (yeah, right) DC with a 0.5 micron pleated filter from Wynn Environmental. It has performed admirably for me, and even with the modifications I've made, it cost me less than the sale price on the Delta DC. MY DC also filters down to 0.5 microns instead of the 1.0 micron rating of the Delta. It's not a cyclone with a 5 hp motor, but I'd put it up against any of the other similar single-stage DC systems. If you can catch the Harbor Freight DC on sale, and throw in one of the 20% coupons, I think you can get a setup similar to mine for under $300.

The Good: Decent specs for a reasonable price
    The Bad: The power switch on mine died, but it was an easy replacement. (I use a remote switch anyway.)
    The Ugly: None, since I painted mine an awesome purple color.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hover DC 1 600.jpg  
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have no experience with that type of unit . I found this link that has the filter I would go with though as I don't think too much of the bag type.

http://www.wynnenv.com/delta_50-760.htm.

I went with the 2hp cyclone from Grizzly that has the canister filter and it is awesome. I would get what you can afford as anything is better than nothing. Later you can upgrade.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I'd love to help you but mine is still in the box.. It is a HF unit I bought on sale..

I built my own cyclone. I used to have a one hp delta which was not adequate. I figured if I was going to upgrade I would do this one time and that would be it. This has enough capacity to take care of my current and future needs!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-24-10 007 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	53454
    It's 20" in diameter with a 5 hp motor and a 16" impeller. I ran a 8" main and split that into two 6" lines.

I have t HF and love it. ABout 11/2 years and no problems.

HF has a coupon for $139
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Mohammad, A lot of people think that Bill Pentz is the dust collection guru. He has a vast and informative website.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

I'm currently using the open-all-the-doors method of air cleaning. I wear a respirator and open my big garage doors and another door for ventilation. Everything I have is on wheels, so I go outside, weather permitting, or move as close to the door as possible if it's going to be dusty. Then I leave for a bit to let things settle or ventilate. When I do add dust collection, I'll go the Bill Pentz route.

Good: It's cheap, easy, quiet, and anyone can do it.
    Bad: Makes it a tad chilly when it's miserable out (which it is a lot this time of year here). You have to take lots of breaks.
    Ugly: It's not good for the dog, who is my constant companion.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Allen, do you have a Delta Cartridge or after-market? How much is the cartridge?

Vaughn, I have heard about the issues with the switch. Yes, the color is awesome.. What is the noise level of that unit?

Drew, thanks for the link.

Garry, what are you waiting for?

Thanks Bob. I just signed up to get on their mailing list.

Cynthia, city dwellers like me live in close proximity to the neighbors. I don't have the luxury to do the woodworking outdoors. Maybe some day...
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Mohammad, mine is about as loud as the other canister DCs I've seen and heard.

I just went out to the shop to measure mine, and it's running about 82 decibels throughout the shop, and going up to about 91 dB right at the dust hood where there's additional wind noise from the suction. By comparison, my shop vac is also about 82 dB. The DC is a lower frequency than the shop vac, so to me, it's less annoying.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com