Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop it ! Stop it !

Stop it ! Stop it !

I give up! I can not look at all the beautiful work you guys do any more. I have began looking for a lath but got to thinking I have the 72 Shop Smith all I need to do is figure out what I need to make it a bowl turner. HELP !
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

LARRY EMERGENCY one about to cross over into the vortex They DON'T HAVE COOKIES

Stifle yourself, Dave!

It's not too late to reconsider. All that spinny stuff is way overrated - Just ask Larry!

On the other hand, I do have an older Atlas 12" X 48" that I'd consider letting go of...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    We DO have cookies...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Tom I gotg it bad! I'm thinking, where do I find the wood chunks, what to look for in the wood, what tools will I have to buy now ?
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Looks like someone needs a turned table leg.
    As for tools......One of everything Yup that will do it.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Tom I gotg it bad! I'm thinking, where do I find the wood chunks, what to look for in the wood, what tools will I have to buy now ?
    Lets see here, wood chunks the flatter the better, with as much figure as possible and get a nice dove tail saw and make a box

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    ...got to thinking I have the 72 Shop Smith all I need to do is figure out what I need to make it a bowl turner. HELP!
    My suggestion would be to sell the Shopsmith and buy a good midi lathe (Delta, Jet, or Rikon) or something used like Jim's 12" Atlas. That way you can spend more time turning instead of spending it trying to get the Shopsmith to be a bowl turner. You'll also be wanting one or more decent bowl gouges. The Benjamin's Best line from Penn State is decent starter tooling, but for not much more you can have the best...Thompson. Then there are things like sharpening jigs (which can be homemade) and chucks and hollowing rigs and vacuum chucks and power sanders and...well, you get the idea. They don't call it The Vortex for nothing. But we're here, buddy, to help guide you down the path of Abysseration.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Me thinks a few chunks of wood might find their way to the beltway. No better way to cement an addiction than some highly figured woods!
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Me thinks a few chunks of wood might find their way to the beltway. No better way to cement an addiction than some highly figured woods!
    Me thinks I can find some pieces of Mesquite to add "fuel to the fire"
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward