Stop it ! Stop it !

I give up! I can not look at all the beautiful work you guys do any more. I have began looking for a lath but got to thinking I have the 72 Shop Smith all I need to do is figure out what I need to make it a bowl turner. HELP !

Stifle yourself, Dave!

It's not too late to reconsider. All that spinny stuff is way overrated - Just ask Larry! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

On the other hand, I do have an older Atlas 12" X 48" that I'd consider letting go of...:rolleyes: :D

...got to thinking I have the 72 Shop Smith all I need to do is figure out what I need to make it a bowl turner. HELP!

My suggestion would be to sell the Shopsmith and buy a good midi lathe (Delta, Jet, or Rikon) or something used like Jim's 12" Atlas. That way you can spend more time turning instead of spending it trying to get the Shopsmith to be a bowl turner. ;) You'll also be wanting one or more decent bowl gouges. The Benjamin's Best line from Penn State is decent starter tooling, but for not much more you can have the best...Thompson. Then there are things like sharpening jigs (which can be homemade) and chucks and hollowing rigs and vacuum chucks and power sanders and...well, you get the idea. They don't call it The Vortex for nothing. :D But we're here, buddy, to help guide you down the path of Abysseration. :p

I agree with Vaughn on this one. Anyone of the 3 lathes he mentioned would be just fine.

It is amazing how when one gets a lathe he really looks at tree's in a whole new light.:rofl:

when spinny guys in this world appear,
and try to draw good flat guys near,
and scare all who see or hear,
the cry goes off to his own ear for,

the ambassador!
the ambassador!

speed of lightnin',
growl like thunder,
scaring all who spin thier lumber,
the ambassador........

when spinny guys in this world appear,
and try to draw good flat guys near,