Another Box for Valentine's Day - Finished

Ah, my secret plan for getting you guys to reveal your design skills has worked!

***queue diabolical laughter***

Booo-hooo-hwaa-hahaha.

Sorry, I have been tied up and just got back to this tonight. I hope to have the tray shaped and glued before bed tonight. In case I don't get back here's the general idea.

A 5/16" spiral in the RT takes care of the rabbets and dados:

bird fret box insert 004.jpg

The ends will be arched and the bottom will be BE maple. Here's the basic parts:

bird fret box insert 014.jpgfret-box-insert-2D.jpg

Last edited:
Finishing Up

Saturday morning I sprained my ankle but good. Lost the weekend and two days of work. Finally got back out to the shop after work today.

As mentioned before, these stop hinges are a bit awkward to work with. I probably saw this somewhere but a parallel clamp makes a great third hand for this sort of thing. It aligns and hold the angle for marking screw holes.

bird-fret-box-finishing-001.jpg

I haven't rubbed this out of waxed it yet but, you get the idea. The figure wraps around the box sides. I drilled some holes for a grip surface and used epoxy to mount the carved pull.

bird-fret-box-finished-2.jpg

I changed the configuration of the tray a couple times. I kept ending up with lots of compartments but, none that anyone with a hand bigger than a 3 year old could reach into. I finally settled here. It is a piston fit that fit a little too well. I had to plane the sides a bit and round the corners to let enough air get by to where it could be removed more easily :rolleyes:

bird-fret-box-finished-3.jpgbird-fret-box-finished-4.jpg

And a couple overall shots.

bird-fret-box-finished-5.jpgbird-fret-box-finished-6.jpg

Now I can get started on the box exchange ;)

Last edited:
That box is quite lovely Glenn. So different from what I do, and very inspiring. I like the clamp technique. I never would've come up with that. I especially like the heart shaped pull.

Glenn i can only echo the comments here, especially what Ken said.

Thats a show stopper and winner.

Design 10/10, Execution 10/10 Inspiring 20/10. :D:thumb::thumb:

You gonna get a lot in return when you gift that box.:thumb::thumb:

nice box sir.

How thick a piece of wood can you do scroll work on?(without struggling or problems)

I often scroll 1X (3/4") cedar but thats softer wood, for harder woods 1/2" I`ve tried thicker but end up with too much blade bend and uneven cuts not to mention burning even with wax. The finer the detail, the finer the blade and a finer blade is a tiny blade.