Box Swap Time!!! BOXES ARE ON THE WAY!!!

Tom Niemi

Staff member
OK folks, I have been involved in a few box swaps in the past and they are to me some of the most fun I have had here. So since it is the middle of winter and not much happening, how about a swap:D Depending on interest I will come up with the basic rules. Have it being a flat landers box, turned box or what ever it is that some one wants to swap and will involve as many folk here as possible. These are FUN, YES I MEAN FUN so what is the consensus? Is anyone interested:D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
I'm in. And as a Recipient of one of Tom's boxes, I can tell you that whoever gets his next box will be a very lucky person! :thumb:

The last swap I was involved in I received the coolest oil lamp. I have also received an incredible cherry burl box, so if it creates interest about anything should be included. Flat, Round, Curved, what ever to make it interesting:thumb:.

:bump: Bumping this up to see if there is any more interest in a box swap:)

I'm certainly interested ... and I've wanted to get into flatwork boxes for a long time ... and I finally have a decent table saw (and I know I shouldn't need one just to make boxes). My only hesitation is that I wouldn't be able to "do justice" on my first one. How much time will we have?

I guess I could always do a turned box, but I haven't made a high-quality box for a number of years. (Same hesitation.)

Still, I'm game - as long as the "judges" will promise to squint!

We can make the time period any way that works for those involved and this is a swap that I am proposing. We have the names of all involved put in a hat, so to speak, and at the end of the given time period you would have a name of another in the swap PMed to you and you ship to that person. That way no one knows who will receive whos box until they receive it:)

My only hesitation is that I wouldn't be able to "do justice" on my first one. How much time will we have?

I guess I could always do a turned box, but I haven't made a high-quality box for a number of years. (Same hesitation.)

Not sure how much that really matters. The swap isn't really a competition, but more 'inspiration'. It's all about the effort, and joining in on the fun!

How far out would work for you Jim? I would sure like this to work out for as many as can, just more fun that way:) Thanks for bringing up that fact Brent, yep no competition and no judging just fun swapping:)

This could be fun. I have also been the recipient of some nice items from variuos swaps. I stink at flat work but I could turn a box for someone. Count me in. Timeframe is no issue for me. Anytime is OK.

Thanks Tom.:thumb:

I guess I better check in here a little more often and keep tabs on this.:D

OK thanks all, looks like we have some interest:thumb::thumb::thumb: I am going to give this time for all who want to get in, I would think that by the end of this month should be good. At that time I will get and confirm a head count and come up with a completion date that will work for everyone. Getting excited and am already working on a design:)

I've never been in on this before so help me out. Do we want to keep it to a certain size for ease of mailing or do we care? I don't mean exact, I mean about the size of a coffee cup or about the size of a shoe. No, not Larry's shoe, my shoe, size 10-1/2 ;-)

I am in Tom not been involved in a box swap before but there is first time for everything.
I personally would have liked us to stretch it a bit by making it say a must for flat landers to have dovetails, then we get to practice our dovetails:)
What say the flatty entrants to this idea?

Either way count me in if you guys are prepared to ship cross border.
March would be good too.:thumb: