Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston We Have Ignition

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Houston We Have Ignition

Well, after months of study, reading, procrastination, fear, sweat, acquiring tools, acquiring more tools, coveting even more tools, learning how to operate my tools, putting together my tools, debating with family members, fielding criticism about taking up woodworking i.e. "that's preposterous," making the shop dog-friendly, learning how to do things without throwing the breaker (difficult), and putting things away in the shop in some kind of organized fashion, today I started working on my bookcases.

I thought I should start a thread to follow my progress, and tell you what I'm learning along the way. This is especially for the benefit of those newbs out there who want to learn but are bashful about posting. Introduce yourself! Post away! There is no shame here.

I can't say I got a lot done beyond getting my feet wet and getting past the psychological barriers. I spent the day cutting plywood and particle board--not my good stuff yet--just to make some guides for breaking down plywood and some other little jigs and also just for practice. I don't like the idea of breaking down plywood and then cutting it a 2nd time on the TS. I'd love to find a way to get accurate cuts the first time. But I haven't found it yet. And no, Chuck, I'm not spending $800 on a Festool track saw. My cuts today ranged from beveled to zigzag to curvilinear to just plain ugly. But, listen, no one is born knowing how to do this stuff. You gotta start somewhere, and there's nowhere to go but UP.

This is what I learned today.

1. Clamps are your friends. You can't have too many clamps. I could definitely use some with longer throats though (is throat the word)?

2. It's hard (or impossible) to make straight cuts with a jigsaw. DAMHIKT

3. It's easier than you think to cut plywood with a hand saw. You can get a straight smooth cut, but it's hard work. Not a viable option for 20 bookcases.

4. When your workshop is colder than Absolute Zero, put your coffee in an insulated cup.

5. If you put ear plugs in *and* use the ear muff type hearing protectors, you can't hear *anything*.

6. Miter boxes don't cut 2X4's very well. DAMHIKT.

So I'll keep everyone posted. Fasten your seatbelt. It's going to be a crazy ride.

I include some before photos of the shop. Panning from right to left, taken this morning at 5AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shop1r.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	53465

Name:	shopr2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	53466

Name:	shopr3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	53467

Name:	shopr4.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	53468

Name:	shopr5.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	53469

Name:	shopr6.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	53470
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Cynthia, Cynthia, Cynthia..... there is no sham in using a CMS to cut those 2x4''s
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

What I find humorous is the semi random way there are clamps and hammers just hanging out here and there...

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    What I find humorous is the semi random way there are clamps and hammers just hanging out here and there...
    hahahah Random, thy name is Cynthia. At least I know where they are! That's the beauty of the "my" in "my shop". I can arrange it any way I like!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Okay well you off the starting blocks. Good luck. Just remember measure twice cut once. Oh and both those measurings need to be done before the cut.

Are you aware that the two floodlights you have there are 1000 watts?

I ask because you mention breakers tripping and i see the panel open and know that you need a heater on as well.

Whats with the idea of using the jig saw?

I got another suggestion for you on the cutting table saw issue.

You can get fold up legs like they have on the banquet hall tables from Canadian tire or home depot.

I was lucky someone in the neighborhood threw out a complete heavy one for me. I aint to proud to pick up garbage.

Buy a couple of those legs and fix them well to a piece of 3/4 spruce. But while you at the depot get them to cut it for you.

Then as others have said pick up some pink foam board and match it to size of the table you gonna make.

Now you use that to lay your plywood on and cut it with the edge guides that have been suggested.

The thing thats neat about those tables is the height. You aint on the floor and you aint trying to get up high enough to handle the saw etc. It a good height when you want to be able to reach well on top of the work surface and the cool think is when you done you can fold it away and stand it up against the wall or for that matter even use it when you need an extra serving table at a function at home. You might also take a strip of wood and frame along the bottom just to add some rigidity to the surface. You will be amazed how that height of the table will help.

Will be watching the progress.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    ...That's the beauty of the "my" in "my shop". I can arrange it any way I like!
    Up to and including pink workbench legs.

(Said the man with a metallic purple dust collector with a "Hoover" logo on it.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The only way to learn is by trying. Now you know jig saws are not good for cutting long straight lines and a miter box isn't the most efficient way to cut 2x4's.

Your shop is looking good though. I'm really looking forward to seeing you learn all the fun stuff from building the bookcases.

Nice start Cynthia
    Faith, Hope & Charity

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Glad to see you are getting your feet wet. Will be keeping up on this and good luck.

I have to say this is just the same way I got int this crazy hobby, wanted a new kitchen, wanted to build my own and had no shop. So your story I can so relate to cause it is the same as mine..........wanted it and did it So you go Cynthia Love your determination and I am going to follow your build with great enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Up to and including pink workbench legs.
    (Said the man with a metallic purple dust collector with a "Hoover" logo on it.)
    A Barbie bench? It's funny how Ken hasn't got one, because he's got all sorts of apparel, car, boat motorbike and so forth. Maybe they depict a different class of man. At least GI Joe got other things

Said the man with a Michelin man on his shop
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...