This week's quick projects

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
I unfortunately only get a couple hours each weekend and Monday to do anything in the shop, so my output isn't quite what I'd like it to be. And for whatever reason, the littlest things take so much longer and I get even less done than I hope.

But this weekend I resolved to get a minor project done for my mom. She asked for a different solution to storing her cookie sheets under the stove, and had decided on something in under the kitchen sink. This was supposed to be made out of ply, but I ended up not having the appropriate material and made it out of 1/2" MDF. It will have to be painted, but such is life. If it gets damaged by water, I'll revisit it in the next kitchen iteration.

Simple magazine box style with butt and screw construction on a sliding dovetail.

I made my charger/battery tote a few weeks ago, but discovered to my horror that it didn't fit in the kitchen cabinet - where it resides when the temps are above best range. A function of building to the needs of the tote with ignoring where it would go. So I moved the charger to the side, and lopped off about 2.5" from the top.

And now it fits. I also have the added bonus of up to three more batteries fitting, should I ever find myself with that many. Still need to add a back and some sort of handle.

I started to make a drill press table about a month ago, when I realized that the top would be extremely large for my space, and shelved the project. The carcass of it sat on my table for a couple weeks because I thought I might be able to make use of the scrap. Even better, I made use of the whole thing as a mini cabinet right next to the bandsaw.

It's fairly handy for holding BS related stuff and some safety equipment. It's a purely temporary piece, as that entire wall will be replaced as soon as circumstances allow. The hole in the side where the BS plug is was the dust collection port for the table. Handy for keeping me from stepping on the plug, which I'm known to do. Gave me the idea of putting something on each station to hang the plug from in the future.

I unfortunately only get a couple hours each weekend and Monday to do anything in the shop, so my output isn't quite what I'd like it to be. And for whatever reason, the littlest things take so much longer and I get even less done than I hope.

Not bad. Fun to just get something done, I reckon. I'm still waiting for the day when I achieve and Allen Levine level of output, but I don't see that happening anytime soon... :thumb:

Nice job!
7d62a275027741d98073d42b8f735c68.gif
11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.gif
a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.gif

It's fun to just get in the shop and make stuff.

Someday I'll post a pic of my too big, too small, doesn't fit, bad cut, holes too large, scrapped project parts that I know that I can use somewhere someday pile.:D