DMT Diamond Sharpening Bench Stones Recommendation Request

Jeff Wright

I am assembling my sharpening tools. I plan to get both the 4000 and 8000 Norton stones, and since I have read disappointing reviews of the Norton coarse stones, I will instead get a DMT duo diamond sharpening bench stone to both flatten my Norton stones and the backs of my chisels and plane blades. There may be times I'd like to sharpen a shaper and/or router bit as well. I will get the 10" size diamond stone. I use the Veritas MK II Honing system.

What Duo DMT diamond stone would you recommend? They come in double-sided grits of:

extra fine/fine,
extra fine/coarse,
fine/course, or
coarse/extra course.

Thanks!

Jeff,

I got the 8" 600/1200 grit one and like it very much. The other one is 300/1200 combo which I find to be too much of a spread between grits. Depending who you buy through I think there are other combinations available. I bought through LV.

Hello Jeff.
Elliott here. I've been using DMT stones for quite a few years now. My wife used to operate a horse clipping business of which I became the designated blade sharpener.
The coarse/X-tra coarse (blue dot / black dot ) stone is my preferred model. AT first they are VERY aggressive but with a small amount of use they get "broke-in" and are more than adequate. The X-tra coarse will remove ALOT of steel quickly from the back of a chisel/plane blade.
The good thing is you lube the stone with H2O. To clean them i've found through experience that " Bar Keepers Friend " is the best cleaner for them with a stiff plastic bristle brush.

HTH : Elliott :thumb:

Jeff, get yourself a set of Shapton stones, and never look back. :thumb:

You don't soak them in water, but rather just sprinkle water on them when you use them. Yes, they cost more, but they do a great job when coupled with the LV MK II guide.

Hey Jeff. I've been using the 10" version. Since you're going to be using Norton stones for the sharpening , the coarse / X-coarse will be perfect.
One thing to remember with the diamonds ... don't use excessive force , allow the diamonds to do the work. Don't forget your "Bar Keepers Friend" .

Elliott (2-T's)....:thumb: