Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9-drawer tall dresser -- FINISHED

9-drawer tall dresser -- FINISHED

I'm planning to build two tall dressers for my sons.

I'm planning on keeping them fairly simple - They'll be 10 and 8 soon -- as I expect these dressers to be "beat on". I'll probably use Baltic Birch for the drawer boxes, hardwood frame + drawer froints, and plywood for the carcass + back.

Unfortunately, I've loaned out my copy of Thomas Moser's "Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture".

So I just sat down tonight with SketchUp and started doodling a box and trying out proportions. This is where I am so far.
    Attachment 4878Attachment 4877

Feel free to take a poke at it. Am I missing anything important? I tend to favour Craftsman and Shaker styling, and this has hints of it.

(We're going flush to the floor, so that we don't get stuff stuck under it, and so we don't have to clean under it )
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 10-31-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: update...

Hi Art.

I think that looks pretty good and I don't have anything useful to add regarding proportions. As far as I can tell, you've hit them pretty well. I suppose if you want to stick with Craftsman or Shaker styling, though, you might want to bypass the coves on the underside of the top.

If you're going to make two, you could probably make a third one just as easily. My little guy needs a new dresser.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Art,
    The designs look great.
    My only question would be whether the dresser might be too tall at 56 3/4. I suspect your boy are tall and shooting up taller every day and will grow into it in no time

As you correctly expect the dressers to get "beat on" and probably climbed upon, it might be a good idea to make a few spare parts, e.g. handles, drawer fronts, etc.

For safety, be sure and put stops on the drawers so they can't come all the way out easily.

Looking forward to progress pics!
    Don't believe everything you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I suppose if you want to stick with Craftsman or Shaker styling, though, you might want to bypass the coves on the underside of the top.
    My first doodle just had a plain top on it. See:
    Attachment 4879

And I thought it just looked too bland, but also out of proportion. The top was too light to balance the trim at the base. On this doodle I thought that the extra weight and trim at the top help balance the base more. (The base is 3/4" stock, 4" high. I'll probably chamfer it when I build it. Hmm, better add that detail next. More practise with "follow me".) And I am sure I have seen Arts+Crafts pieces with trim under the tops. Time to go back through my A+C books and Becksvoort's "Shaker Legacy"

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud
    My only question would be whether the dresser might be too tall at 56 3/4. I suspect your boy are tall and shooting up taller every day and will grow into it in no time
    Right you are Jesse. I had my (almost) 10yr old stand in front of his old dresser and I measured up as high as he thought he could reach, which put me at 55". So yes, this design is just too tall right now, but I expect him to grow into it in a couple years. I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'10", so I'm not expecting any petite kids in this household...

(We have four kids, and these two are gonna be sharing a room as long as we're in this house. So I need to maximize storage by going vertical.)

Thanks for the comments.

the coves on the underside of the top.
    ps: it doesn't have to be a cove. That was just fairly easy to render in SketchUp to give the idea of some trim filling the space. Got any other suggestions for some trim to fit in there? I'm trying to envision my collection of router bits right now to see what I could come up with to work...

I'll think on it. What about a thicker top with a bevel on the underside?

Art, would you be willing to send me your SKP model? I'll doodle on it a bit.

Any golden rectangles in it? Only a thought/suggestion.

Art, would you be willing to send me your SKP model? I'll doodle on it a bit.
    Done, check your gmail. It was just a sketch, but comments are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    Any golden rectangles in it? Only a thought/suggestion.
    Not a bad thought, but no I didn't. See the post above? I just had my oldest stand in front of his dresser and show me how high he could easily reach. This drawing would be around eyeball level (or maybe a touch higher) on him. I've got two boys sharing a room, we need vertical storage.

And the rest is pretty much based on is current dressers width and depth. It's a pretty fair size.

But I will look up the golden rectangle thing and see how that compares to this. One thing I did do is make sure that each drawer was 1/2" shorter than the drawer below it. This to me is one of the hallmarks of custom woodwork... I know they can't do this in furniture factories. So when I see a dresser where all the drawers are the same size it tells me "mass produced" and also (and I admit this is my own opinion) "borrrrrring".

Art, I haven't had a chance yet to play with your sketch. I will later. Do you know that you can draw a golden rectangle in SU very easily? Start dragging out a rectangle. If you get a diagonal line across the rectangle it is either a square or golden.