Poplar Vase

Here is a two piece poplar vase with walnut finial. I must say I am pretty proud of it as it took Grand champion at the art contest that inculded all types of art and was best of show. I really didn't think it was worthy of that but I will take it. The vase is 4" high and 9" across. The finial is 3" high and is walnut. It has 7 light coats of lacquer and buffed. The LOML has it in her craft display cabinet and told me don't even think of selling it.

Attachments

• Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 1.jpg
    Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 3.jpg
    Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 4.jpg
    Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 5.jpg
    Poplar Vase Walnut Finial 5.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 29
Thanks again all.

Bob G. I did the band with a Sorby Micro texturing tool. It was funny because I kind of experimented with it. I set with the flat part on the tool rest to run at 45 deg to the right and then turned it 45 deg to the left. It left almost a carved look. I then stained it with dark walnut.

Mohammad I was up against 71 entries from paintings, jewelry, pottery, quilts, photography, etc. just to name a few. There were 3 wood entries including a bandsaw box and two jewelry boxes.

Im glad you did so well in the contest and it sure is a very nice turning................congradulations

I do have a few questions though - what made you decide to to it in two pc's?.............I know you have brians video on that (I have the one on Hollowing large vessels)......I am guessing it was easier to do in two pc's with the particular project maybe than hollowing with a rig and hand tools.

Is the texturing band (which looks great on that pc) hide the seam from the joining ?

Lastly - What do you think of video on the 2pc from Brian ? I really like the one I have and it is plenty detailed and I do use the techniques. I modified my own large boring rig with some help from him and its works great. He is very helpful with information..........................................

curious on your thoughts.................thanks Dan

Dan it does make it easier to do although I have did 2 or 3 these with my monster as one piece. The texturing band is more for decoration. The poplar was so bland I needed to do something to spif it up. If you do it properly you cannot see the seam. I am probably my own worst critic and on the ones I have did lately you can't see the seam. It took a couple to get there but now people look at them and can't see how it was done.

As far as his DVD goes it is great. Probably like the one you have he goes very much into detail especially on the part where you glue them together. I also have his DVD on Embellishments and it is a good one. I would buy both again.