Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Recent Acquisitions......

Some Recent Acquisitions......

Since I'm essentially getting paid now to build some cabinets in the L shop, so I decided I needed a few new tools

In fact the accountant was by the other day and he said to me, in front of the Monster-In-Law "Why have you not bought any tools recently...?" (well, he said that in Japanese..... of course....) he loves the write offs from the tools and stuff, as he has NO PROBLEM using them so we pay less taxes.
    I'm very confident that I'll use all of this stuff on the coming up cabinets..... VERY confident
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looking good Stu. Ya know I was thinking the same about your tool collection just the other day. Ok angle is wrong in the photo and my eye sight is not that good. what is in the long brown box and the bag?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Looking good Stu. Ya know I was thinking the same about your tool collection just the other day. Ok angle is wrong in the photo and my eye sight is not that good. what is in the long brown box and the bag?
    Sorry, a description was left out, I was in a hurry.

Lee Valley Flat Spokeshave A2 blade
    Lee Valley Small Router Plane
    Two Lee Valley 1/4" Drawbore Pins
    Lee Valley Shelf Hole Drilling Jig
    Lee Valley extra long rods for the shelf hole drilling jig
    Lee Valley 8mm HHS brad point bit (for use with the shelf hole drilling jig)
    1lb bag of Orange Shellac Flakes
    Incra 1000SE Miter Gauge

I've wanted a Spoke shave for a while, in fact I think it was Rob K who commented that he was surprised that I did not have one. Each time I went to order one, my LV order was already substantial and it kind of broke the bank, but this time around I was not really worried about that

The shelf hole drilling jig just simply looks useful, a bunch of the items I will build will have adjustable shelves, so it was time!

The drawbore thing interests me, so I jumped on the chance to give it a go!

Finally the Incra 1000SE miter gauge is something I've wanted for a while, they get wonderful reviews, and I finally pulled the trigger, now we will see if it costs me money on a blade and cartridge if I trip the SawStop by cutting into this thing I hope not, but ya never know

Cheers!

PS there is a big box coming from Rockler too, more hardware and such in that box than tools, but some tools!

BTW, I placed the order with Lee Valley at about 11PM Tokyo time on the 24th of January, it came about 11AM Tokyo Time today, January 27th, so that is about 56 hours from order to arrival

Rockler on the other hand I ordered on the 19th of January and I just got a shipping confirmation today, saying it was shipped on the 26th, no reason for the WEEK LONG delay, all the items I ordered, when I ordered them were "In Stock" but if something was NOT in stock, you would think a polite e-mail asking if I want to change my order etc would be in order, but nothing for a WEEK from Rockler......

Hard to compete with LV, they do seriously ROCK in customer service
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Finally the Incra 1000SE miter gauge is something I've wanted for a while, they get wonderful reviews, and I finally pulled the trigger, now we will see if it costs me money on a blade and cartridge if I trip the SawStop by cutting into this thing I hope not, but ya never know
    I've got that miter gauage and it works great. Just be careful when setting the angle on it to double check that it won't hit the blade... Not that I've done that before Once was enough to teach me a lesson!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I've got that miter gauage and it works great. Just be careful when setting the angle on it to double check that it won't hit the blade... Not that I've done that before Once was enough to teach me a lesson!
    I have the same one and almost made the mistake as well

It works great though
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Good for you, Stu.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Nice score Stu I want one of these miter gauges so give us a review on how ya like it.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

The Incra 1000 rocks on about the same level as Lee Valley customer service. I'll be highly surprised if you don't like it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You're gonna love that miter gauge! It's a thing of precise beauty!

Thanks,

Bill

Guys I futzed around with the 1000SE miter gauge for a while last night, I finally broke down and read the instructions a light went off and I finally got it zeroed in, and yeah, it rocks, totally cool I have a good SCMS but for making stuff like picture frames it takes a lot of test cuts to get the corner perfect, this did it first time out, well, when I finally read the instructions on how to zero the flip stops

Me thinks I will lub it
    William Arthur Ward