Thread: Broken lazy Susan repair...

Rochester Hills, MI

Broken lazy Susan repair...

Hi folks,
    I've got a "lazy Susan" in my kitchen. It's in the corner cupboard near the sink. It has two round plastic trays where we store canned goods and such. A while ago the upper shelf cracked and sagged. I just propped it up for a while and it worked but the crack worsened. I should have known better but I just didn't feel like dealing with it. Well it finally got to the point that I had to do something about it. I emptied the cabinet and removed the two plastic shelves. One was fine and I had planned on maybe using one as a template and creating one out of some plywood. I was going to take the mounting hardware off of the bad one and use it on the new wooden one. The shelves sat in the garage for a while and I just couldn't figure out exactly how I was going to do it. About a week ago, I was at a store buying some glue for a project and I saw something that gave me an idea. It was a gel based two-part epoxy. I've used epoxies for years but they're fairly thin and wouldn't be very easy to use in this case. I picked some up and headed home. Here's what I did.

The shelf is flat and fairly smooth on the top section and the bottom is a bunch of molded triangles to give it strength. When sitting flat on the bench, the crack was only about 1/16" wide at the most. I started by putting some masking tape on the top side and burnished it down pretty well. Then I mixed up a small amount of the gel epoxy and used a toothpick to spread it along the crack as best I could. I covered the entire length of the crack in two or three sessions because the epoxy sets up in five minutes. Once I had the entire crack covered on the back side I let it sit for about an hour to harden. When it was hard, I removed the tape from the top side. There was now a fairly thin crack but a little depression because the gelled epoxy didn't settle as much as I thought it would. I just mixed up a little more epoxy and using a popsicle stick I forced it into the crack and smoothed it out. It was pretty easy to do and I think it's going to work fine. This stuff is very hard and strong and it should hold up fine. I haven't reassembled it yet but I think I avoided having to make a whole new shelf. Here's a pic of the crack once it was repaired.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Pretty cool fix John
    If you can see the end of the crack, think about drilling a small hole at the end. It will help keep the crack from spreading.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Rochester Hills, MI
    That's probably a good idea Bob. Thanks! I think I'll do that.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

ABQ NM
    That must have been a pain getting the glue worked up and down and around all the webbing. Looks like you should be good to go for quite some time now, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan