Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an old boice crane scroll saw

wayne kolendo Guest

an old boice crane scroll saw

I have to pare down to make room in my shop, I have a an old boice crane scroll saw, where do I go to find the value? It does work, but I put a single phase motor in it, I think i still have the 3 phase motor.

wayne

try old woodworking machine forum i think its OWWM forum do search threw google for something similair and it should show up
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Try here www.owwm.net
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

don yours dont work for me try this one..http://www.owwm.org/
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    don yours dont work for me try this one..http://www.owwm.org/
    Don's works, but it's slow to come up. It's also not the OWWM site he's thinking of. (The real one is .org, not .net.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Old scroll saws are a dime a dozen. They seem to range in price from $50 for brands like Craftsman or Powercraft. Old Deltas seem to range from $150 / $200 for a fully rebuilt / restored saw in stock condition with original Delta accessories such as the stand, motor, or work light. I also see them go for a lot less if they haven't been rebuilt.

The Boice Crane is a very good tool that probably falls somewhere in the middle. It lacks the brand devotion of Delta, but is known to be a more industrial quality machine than Craftsman. Condition / completeness has a lot to do with it. Parts would be hard to come by, etc.

OWWM won't get into appriasing a machine as a matter of policy. You won't have much luck over there. You could do a search on ebay for completed auctions to see what some have actually sold for recently. Ignore the asking prices of ones that are currently for sale - current bids could go up dramatically at auction's end, and many sellers put such a high opening bid on their merchandise that things never sell.

If i were looking for an old Boice Crane saw, it would probably be worth $50 - $100 to me, assuming it's in good usable and complete condition. By the way, the original 3 phase motor won't be worth anything to most people because they can't use it in their home shops without investing in a phase converter or VFD. I'd probably throw it in free with the machine just to get it out of my shop unless i had another use for it. Small 3 phase motors are basically worth scrap value to most people.

It helps too, if you're in a big town or city - more demand.

Picture????

I sold an inherited heavy duty Delta ss about six years ago for $250.00.
    Kinda wish I hadn't.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Paul nailed it. Scroll saws are the most common and typically the cheapest old machines out there.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I had a 1929 King Sealy that I paid $50 4 it. all original including a spare set of guides. I sold it 5 year later for $60...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I paid a $158 for my 26" Boice Crane Scroll saw
    a few years back