an old boice crane scroll saw

W

wayne kolendo

I have to pare down to make room in my shop, I have a an old boice crane scroll saw, where do I go to find the value? It does work, but I put a single phase motor in it, I think i still have the 3 phase motor.

wayne

Old scroll saws are a dime a dozen. They seem to range in price from $50 for brands like Craftsman or Powercraft. Old Deltas seem to range from $150 / $200 for a fully rebuilt / restored saw in stock condition with original Delta accessories such as the stand, motor, or work light. I also see them go for a lot less if they haven't been rebuilt.

The Boice Crane is a very good tool that probably falls somewhere in the middle. It lacks the brand devotion of Delta, but is known to be a more industrial quality machine than Craftsman. Condition / completeness has a lot to do with it. Parts would be hard to come by, etc.

OWWM won't get into appriasing a machine as a matter of policy. You won't have much luck over there. You could do a search on ebay for completed auctions to see what some have actually sold for recently. Ignore the asking prices of ones that are currently for sale - current bids could go up dramatically at auction's end, and many sellers put such a high opening bid on their merchandise that things never sell.

If i were looking for an old Boice Crane saw, it would probably be worth $50 - $100 to me, assuming it's in good usable and complete condition. By the way, the original 3 phase motor won't be worth anything to most people because they can't use it in their home shops without investing in a phase converter or VFD. I'd probably throw it in free with the machine just to get it out of my shop unless i had another use for it. Small 3 phase motors are basically worth scrap value to most people.

It helps too, if you're in a big town or city - more demand.