Queen to a King Headboard

Bryan Cowing

Built this 2 poster headboard back in 95 , part of a whole bedroom suite . Now the owner is moving and has a new King size bed. I originally didn't want to do it, but she kept asking. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be as I forgot it was bolted together instead of glued. A few pics.
IMG_3909-1.JPG Queen headboard

IMG_3912.JPGripped in half

IMG_3911.JPGnew 19x80 bottom glued up

IMG_3914.JPGadded 5" to post with turned foot

IMG_3925.JPGjig saw out shape

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG OSS to remove saw marks

IMG_3929-1.JPG stroke sanding

IMG_3932-1.JPGtest fit:)

bryan how did yu get those tenons out of the posts?? i can see where yu had bed bolts in the one part but how was the top connected got a close up or some explantion? and did yu steam the top trim or cut out of thicker stock?

Bryan how did you get those tenons out of the posts?? i can see where you had bed bolts in the one part but how was the top connected got a close up or some explanation? and did you steam the top trim or cut out of thicker stock?

Loose tenon on the headboard. The bottom stretcher and bolts holds it all together. Top trim cut separate, cove cut with router. Glue to headboard, then use belt sander to make top flat.♦
IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG
P.S. I used the 4 poster Bed Plan from Canadian Home Workshop, Jan. 1995, to build the headboard

Last edited:
well that top trim fooled me ithought it was bent wood.. and the loose tenon on the head board that was glued right so how did yu separate that area to make your changed headboard?

well that top trim fooled me ithought it was bent wood.. and the loose tenon on the head board that was glued right so how did yu separate that area to make your changed headboard?:huh:
no glue used on the headboard to post connection, if thats what U are asking about:huh:. It sits trapped between the posts. ♦Just the bottom stretcher with the two bolts holds the posts straight.

yup thats what i was asking.. wow thats new twist.. thanks bryan..wouldnt have thought of that one either,, yur just full of surprises today:) must be from all those years of doing this huh:D:thumb::thumb: