Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got one or more of these

Anyone got one or more of these

I noticed late last year these were coming out and i have been looking for them to appear. I see LV has them and the thing that caught my eye was the 240V version. But very out of character for LV there are no specs regarding current.

I had recieved newsletters late last year from the company mentioning the pending launch but dont see the full specs or evidence of the units i had anticipated.

Had thought this would be a great idea for switching on the dust collector automatically even though it could be costly. They have programmed it with time delays which i thought added to the value of it.

Anyone have one or opinions to contribute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6T5...eature=related
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 01-28-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    cheers

If I had a cyclone I would buy them. after all it would cost about 300$ to have a normal workshop equiped with them. at roughly 50$ each switch, and spares the need of wiring.

Let's see...

Cyclone 50$
    Bandsaw 50$
    Table saw 50$
    Routertable/shaper 50$
    Jointer/thicknesser 50$
    Disc/belt Sander 50$

We must not forget that smaller tools like a RAS, Handheld routers and so forth could be plugged togheter in groups if needed, althoug those are usually used one by one and not left plugged.

A single swicht at the begining of your shop wiring could be enough to swicht it on no matter what tool you had plugged in. so the total cost could be only 100$
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I love the concept of DC turning on when Machine is turned on. However, not having the luxury seems bound to continue. Like today. I purchased a second Triton router (thanks to Toni's heads up on low price). It is more important than the luxury of closing one blast gate and opening another.

And so---the toy story continues.

As my wife's brother would say, "That's one Danged Fool's opinion."

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Even if I had dedicated lines and blast gates and such (instead of my single flex hose), I'd want the remote on-off at times other than when the machines are running, and wouldn't want the DC to turn on every time I had a machine running. I've gotten so accustomed to wearing the DC remote on my belt loop, reaching for it is second nature.

Most of the time, my DC is hooked up to the lathe scoop, but I don't necessarily want it on every time the lathe is running. Conversely, there are lots of times I'm sanding at the lathe, with the lathe turned off and the DC turned on. So no...no thanks for me on this gadget.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Even if I had dedicated lines and blast gates and such (instead of my single flex hose), I'd want the remote on-off at times other than when the machines are running, and wouldn't want the DC to turn on every time I had a machine running. I've gotten so accustomed to wearing the DC remote on my belt loop, reaching for it is second nature.

Most of the time, my DC is hooked up to the lathe scoop, but I don't necessarily want it on every time the lathe is running. Conversely, there are lots of times I'm sanding at the lathe, with the lathe turned off and the DC turned on. So no...no thanks for me on this gadget.
    I have some ducting, and a few blast gates, but like Vaughn, I still prefer a LongRanger® remote instead of 'auto-on.' There are times when I don't want the DC running.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

You can purchase a remote starter for the cyclone for less than equiping a whole shop with them. Grizzly sells a shop fox one that works up to 20a for $45

http://www.grizzly.com/products/220V...r-Switch/H5397

I'm not sure about a 5hp version, but someone must make one. If not you could always get the 110V version and wire it to a relay that would handle the current.

I go in the same direction as Vaughn and Jim with this one. I cannot imagine that turning the cyclone on and of again all the time for one cut here and there would be particularly easy on the motor or practical. Secondly how would this work with the miter saw for a cut here and there, by the time you had the cut and the suction had reached the saw the machine would be turned off. I'll stick with the remote thanks.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Another vote for the lone ranger remote. I have it in my apron, and use it all the time.

I have a relay on my Cyclone, I have a DC low volt set of switches wired to it, a switch at each tool, open the blast gate for the tool and there is a switch right there, I reach over and turn it on. As the wires just run along with the ducting, it was really easy to set up. I have a variety of scavenged switches, and I bought the relay unit used on auction really, really cheap, the wire is old telephone wire, and the DC voltage comes from one of a box of AC/DC adapters I have from various pieces of electronics equipment that is no long with us My system works on a time delay, I wait a moment after switching the tool off to switch the cyclone off

I bet I spent less than $30 on my set up, and it works great!

Nothing wrong with wireless but I don't think EVERYTHING has to be wireless
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Being the tinkerer that I am I would look at mounting it by the electrical panel. If it also uses current sensing to tell when a machine is turned on to turn on the dust collector then everything you need is at the main panel. possibly just a few more current transformers and a little longer time delay for shut down and this might be the ticket for me.

Thanks Rob you got me thinking now!