Anyone got one or more of these

Rob Keeble

I noticed late last year these were coming out and i have been looking for them to appear. I see LV has them and the thing that caught my eye was the 240V version. But very out of character for LV there are no specs regarding current.

I had recieved newsletters late last year from the company mentioning the pending launch but dont see the full specs or evidence of the units i had anticipated.

Had thought this would be a great idea for switching on the dust collector automatically even though it could be costly. They have programmed it with time delays which i thought added to the value of it.

Anyone have one or opinions to contribute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6T52v51X0&feature=related

Last edited:
If I had a cyclone I would buy them. after all it would cost about 300$ to have a normal workshop equiped with them. at roughly 50$ each switch, and spares the need of wiring.

Let's see...

Cyclone 50$
Bandsaw 50$
Table saw 50$
Routertable/shaper 50$
Jointer/thicknesser 50$
Disc/belt Sander 50$

We must not forget that smaller tools like a RAS, Handheld routers and so forth could be plugged togheter in groups if needed, althoug those are usually used one by one and not left plugged.:dunno:

A single swicht at the begining of your shop wiring could be enough to swicht it on no matter what tool you had plugged in. so the total cost could be only 100$:dunno:

I love the concept of DC turning on when Machine is turned on. However, not having the luxury seems bound to continue. Like today. I purchased a second Triton router (thanks to Toni's heads up on low price). It is more important than the luxury of closing one blast gate and opening another.

And so---the toy story continues.

As my wife's brother would say, "That's one Danged Fool's opinion."

Enjoy,

Jim

Even if I had dedicated lines and blast gates and such (instead of my single flex hose), I'd want the remote on-off at times other than when the machines are running, and wouldn't want the DC to turn on every time I had a machine running. I've gotten so accustomed to wearing the DC remote on my belt loop, reaching for it is second nature.

Most of the time, my DC is hooked up to the lathe scoop, but I don't necessarily want it on every time the lathe is running. Conversely, there are lots of times I'm sanding at the lathe, with the lathe turned off and the DC turned on. So no...no thanks for me on this gadget. ;)

Even if I had dedicated lines and blast gates and such (instead of my single flex hose), I'd want the remote on-off at times other than when the machines are running, and wouldn't want the DC to turn on every time I had a machine running. I've gotten so accustomed to wearing the DC remote on my belt loop, reaching for it is second nature.

Most of the time, my DC is hooked up to the lathe scoop, but I don't necessarily want it on every time the lathe is running. Conversely, there are lots of times I'm sanding at the lathe, with the lathe turned off and the DC turned on. So no...no thanks for me on this gadget. ;)

I have some ducting, and a few blast gates, but like Vaughn, I still prefer a LongRanger® remote instead of 'auto-on.' There are times when I don't want the DC running.

I go in the same direction as Vaughn and Jim with this one. I cannot imagine that turning the cyclone on and of again all the time for one cut here and there would be particularly easy on the motor or practical. Secondly how would this work with the miter saw for a cut here and there, by the time you had the cut and the suction had reached the saw the machine would be turned off. I'll stick with the remote thanks.

I have a relay on my Cyclone, I have a DC low volt set of switches wired to it, a switch at each tool, open the blast gate for the tool and there is a switch right there, I reach over and turn it on. As the wires just run along with the ducting, it was really easy to set up. I have a variety of scavenged switches, and I bought the relay unit used on auction really, really cheap, the wire is old telephone wire, and the DC voltage comes from one of a box of AC/DC adapters I have from various pieces of electronics equipment that is no long with us :rolleyes: :D My system works on a time delay, I wait a moment after switching the tool off to switch the cyclone off ;) :D

I bet I spent less than $30 on my set up, and it works great!

Nothing wrong with wireless but I don't think EVERYTHING has to be wireless :dunno:

Being the tinkerer that I am I would look at mounting it by the electrical panel. If it also uses current sensing to tell when a machine is turned on to turn on the dust collector then everything you need is at the main panel. possibly just a few more current transformers and a little longer time delay for shut down and this might be the ticket for me.

Thanks Rob you got me thinking now!:wave::D

Remote for DC

I have two remotes that came with my DC. I just clip one on a belt loupe and it operates the 220v DC whenever I want from anyplace in the shop. I mainly use the second remote for the times I do not have the first remote connected to my pants...and it is lost somewhere in the shop. I am proud to say that most of the time I only use one remote...That's because Glenn keeps pounding me to be orderly.

I would NOT want the DC to come on each time I turn on a machine! I would enjoy having the DC come on each time I opened a blast gate.

I use the remote. I have a 1 1/2 inch wide by 6 inch long piece of red ribbon that is attached to each closed blast gate with a magnet. When I open the gate, I flip the ribbon down and the magnet sticks to the flex drop. I can look around the room and instantly see if I have neglected to close a gate.

Enjoy,

Jim