The World's Largest Army

Dan Mooney

The World's Largest Army

I bet you didn’t know this. . .

In WWII, Japan's highest-ranking naval officer was Isoruku Yamamoto. Although he was Japanese, and his loyalties were unquestionably with The Empire, he studied for many years in America, graduating from Harvard University.

There is an oft-repeated (and sometimes disputed) quote attributed to him regarding the possibility of any nation taking a war to American soil:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Here is why he was correct:

America's Hunters - The World's Largest Army.

The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed.
That's great, considering there were over 600,000 hunters that got permits this year.

Allow me to restate that number: 600,000

Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single American state to keep the deer population under control.

But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week. Michigan's 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia, and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

And that is just FOUR states.

The total population of registered hunters in America today ranges from 23 million to 43.7 million individuals. (Based on annual data provided by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.) As long as the American Hunter retains his right to Bear Arms, America will forever be safe from foreign invasion of troops.

Hunting – it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of National Security.

The Second Amendment guarantees your Freedom.

Sorry Steve, I wasn't trying to start anything, we have a lot of hunters on here, that's why I posted it. If you feel that it's controversial feel free to remove it.
Dan

I can't wait for someone to start some crap in Montana...that would be funny. I avoid living there because I only have 8 guns :rofl:;)

Wars are won with crew served weapons and logistics.

A professional army would have no problem brushing aside a group of untrained, unorganized and unsupplied hunters on their way to achieve their strategic aims.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, there's two aspects of war. The first is the seizing of strategic objectives which leads to control of the country. No group of irregulars are going to affect that movement.

The second is holding the country and controlling the population. I'll give you an example from WWII. The French resistance was not very effective, except for intelligence work, because if the resistance took an action that resulted in the death of German soldiers, the Germans went to the village closest to the action and killed ten civilians for every soldier killed.

Mike

Mr. Henderson put my thoughts into a well structured and intelligent post.

Im a firm believer that our armed forces are the most respected in the world, the best trained, and the best supplied.

Last edited:
I think it would be a very unwise thing to underestimate the people of this country.

With the many veterans who have passed into civilian life, unorganized and untrained may not be accurate.

As for unsupplied...well, I've seen stockpiles like you wouldn't believe.

It may not be a victory in the end, but these people would take down as many as they could. It would be extremely costly to anyone who tried it.

Other countrys don't play by the silly rules we have. Nor do they have embedded reporters. If we could do the 1 /10 thing like the Germans in WW2 it would have been over quick.

The object of war is to win, not country building.