Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a new "toy" today.

Bought a new "toy" today.

I don't know if I should post this or not but I'll try and if anyone thinks it's inappropriate it can be removed. I don't know if new power tool reviews are a good idea or not because sometimes they can get ugly because someone who may have had a less than happy experience with the particular tool in question makes a post about it and it goes downhill from there. But we'll try it and see how it goes.

I've had an 18V Dewalt 3/8" cordless for several years and it's given me great service. But lately it's starting to show battle scars and the chuck gave out on me so I decided it was time to retire it and get a new one. I really like the 18V drills and wanted a 1/2" drill but they just get so darn heavy it can get tough to work with them all day long. Well I headed over to the BORG and looked over the selection and was just going to look at the DeWalt offerings. But I decided to check out the Makita line also. Well to make a long story short I walked out with a new Makita 1/2" 18V Lithium Ion cordless and it's one sweet little drill! Now I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I'm going on a job tomorrow and I'll get a chance to try it out. This thing is beautiful because it's only 8" long front to back and weighs in at 3.5lbs The DeWalt 1/2" 18V drills were almost SIX pounds! It came with a charger and two batteries that fully recharge in fifteen minutes. This is the first Lithium Ion battey powered tool I've bought but it sounds good. The sales guy was talking about how a fully charged battery can sit on the shelf for twelve months and you can install it and it'll still have 80% of it's capacity. Well that's really not an issue with me because I use my cordless drill all the time so I know it's not going to sit around unused for any length of time at all. The instructions also state that it can be recharged any time without worrying aobut the "memory" issue that used to plague the NiCd batteries.

Well I just thought I'd let those of you out there looking for a new cordless drill out there know about it. I was surprised to find that it even has a light that comes on to illuminate the work area when you press the trigger. It's got 450 in/lbs. of torque which should be enough for most of my general uses and if I need a lot more torque, I'll get out the old DeWalt corded drill that I hardly ever use anymore.

Take care all!

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

good gloat john! i can`t see anybody having a problem with you purchasing a new toy.......er tool. congratulations, tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

No picture - didn't happen.
    Jim

Congrats John, I also had one of those DeWalt cordless drills and it served me well for a long time. When it got battery failures I replaced it with a 18V Makita (not the same as yours)and I have used it a lot over the last 4 years. It has fell from a couple of polebarns I've built, cracked the housing, dented the chuck but it just keeps working.I've thought about replacing it but it just hasn't died yet.

And never mind Jim Young....he is just jealous.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Talking

Well I have a problem with it....I HATE Makita after the way they treated me with my SCMS and they are the most evi......JUST KIDDING.

WTG John, I'm glad to hear a good review. I'm looking at the LXT 18V impact. It comes bundled with the drill and I was wondering how it would fare. Thanks for the post.

And a big WELCOME since I don't remember welcoming you before.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Yeah as soon as I hit "Submit" and didn't attach a picture I knew I'd regret it.

Well here's what it looks like. It's a Makita Model #BDF452HW

Last edited by John Pollman; 11-08-2006 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Picture changes
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

OK, you're off the hook, now that you posted a picture.

Nice gloat, John. That's a nice-looking setup, and I'm sure being almost half the weight of your old one will make it a pleasure to use.

(And add my voice to chorus of "Welcomes".)

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    OK, you're off the hook, now that you posted a picture.

Nice gloat, John. That's a nice-looking setup, and I'm sure being almost half the weight of your old one will make it a pleasure to use.

(And add my voice to chorus of "Welcomes".)

- Vaughn
    Well I thought I just might get away with it seeing as Tyler's not currently on the member list. LOL!

Thanks for the welcomes.

John

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
    No picture - didn't happen.
    OK I noniate Jim as the marshal for the picture police..

Great gloat and welcome.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Steve Clardy Guest
    Man that's a racy looking drill there.
    Looks like thay are catching up with Hatchi's racy looking tools.