Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lorilei's Toy Box

Lorilei's Toy Box

My Grand-Niece's birthday is coming up, so I decided to make her a toy box

It's from Pennsylvania and Ohio walnut (no Michigan chocolate used here ), and is 25" high, 35" wide, and 18" deep. The finish is garnet shellac on the inside, and several coats of Watco Natural on the outside. I put several coats of BriWax Natural (Clear) on the outside, too.

The bottom is aromatic cedar, in case she wants to use it as a 'hope chest' in future years. There's no finish on the cedar, so that it'll emit the charactistic odors.

The top of the box is one wide board. More on that in the next chapter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0707 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0708 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0709 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0714 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0715 (Custom).JPG  

Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 01-29-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

The top of the chest is one wide board, and it has quite a story behind it.

The board started out in a piece of furniture made in the Philadelphia, PA area, somewhere in the mid-nineteenth century. That piece of furniture came to California on a train in 1872, when the owners moved across the country. That was 140 years ago!

Somewhere around 1997, one of my neighbors was tearing the old sideboard apart for the trash, and I was able to salvage the top from it. That's when Dietrich told me the story behind it. It had belonged to his great, great...great grandmother, and it was she who brought it with her from Philidelphia. He was dumping it because it had gotten damaged and he didn't think it was worth repairing (!)...

Anyway, I took the piece home, and seven years later, brought it back to Ohio with me when I moved - sot it's been cross-country twice, and is now only a few hundred miles from where it started.

I had to flatten it a bit, and remove some sawmill marks from the underside. It ended up about 5/4 thick

I put breadboard ends on it, and finished the underside with garnet shellac and the top surface with several coats of Watco Natural and wax. Now it's the top of a toy box/hope chest that will (hopefully) last another 140 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0702 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0703 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0704 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0706 (Custom).JPG   DSCN0707 (Custom).JPG  

Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Nice.

Such a great story too.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Well done Jim
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Nice.

Such a great story too.
    +1
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    super nice save on the recycle...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Nice. Good salvage, that's an impressive piece of wood on top.

It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Beautiful box and a real interesting story on the top.. I wonder how many bf of beautiful old historic wood ends up at dump every year ?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great job on the toy box Jim! Really beautiful and should hold up well.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault