Thread: Festool Domino Review

Festool Domino Review

Hi folks,

I just completed my review of the Domino. You can read it at

http://NHWoodworker.com

Comments and questions welcome.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Thanks Bill. Great review.

I'm going to be gluing up a table top tomorrow, without a domino , and if it doesn't go well, I suspect to utter a few choice expletives after seeing how well it works with the domino!

I wish there was a way to go deeper than 28mm. That may be limiting for a lot of the work I do (e.g., benches, larger tables). Let us know if you hear of a workaround
    Don't believe everything you think!

Bill, excellent review, especially liked the video segments.

what's the approximate cost on one of those? so I can start saving up?
    -Ned

Ned,

the tool is intro priced at $660 and the tenon/bit assortment w/systainer is another 200 so $860 go get in with all the bits.

yep, green and black will wait awhile. again, excellent review, thanks!
    -Ned

Great Review Bill. Ditto on Neds comments on the video's. I'm still on the fence about buying one though.

Russ
    There is unrest in the forest,There is trouble with the trees
    For the maples want more sunlight,And the oaks ignore their plea's. N.Peart

Russ,

Thanks and yea, it ain't cheap. As a hobbyist, my personal philosophy is to "buy what makes you happy"

To some, spending that much for a tool would cause them to have buyers remorse every time they looked at it. To others the cost would be immaterial. It is such a personal thing that I try never to talk about cost in a review. I'd hate to taint someone's opinion, good or bad, based on some totally subjective rating I included in the review for "value". I try to give them the facts and let them make the value call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Esposito View Post
    Russ,

Thanks and yea, it ain't cheap. As a hobbyist, my personal philosophy is to "buy what makes you happy"

To some, spending that much for a tool would cause them to have buyers remorse every time they looked at it. To others the cost would be immaterial. It is such a personal thing that I try never to talk about cost in a review. I'd hate to taint someone's opinion, good or bad, based on some totally subjective rating I included in the review for "value". I try to give them the facts and let them make the value call.

Bill,

About the only tool out there that engenders more subjectivity in regards to price is the SawStop.

Greg

Bill,

First I just wanted to say that your review was well written and well thought out.

I've been very interested in this machine since it can dramatically speed up small projects such as chairs and living room tables, and what not.

Im not sure if I'd use it for beefier projects or not, though because I am worried that the size of the dominos just isn't enough even though you could put a lot of them together.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter though. If I get it, I will figure it out in when the time comes.

My question is, have you tried to make your own tennons for it? Do you think that the time it would take to make them would be worth the price you would be saving or would you just recomend buying them in mass quantities?

Also Im not so sure I like the idea of using beech tennons on a Maple or Oak project, let alone exotics like Ebony or Purple Heart.

Honestly, and unfortunately, most of my work is unimaginative and made out of pine and ply, not by my choice, but by my clients' requests. But I still like to be prepared for the unusual.

Allen,

No, I have not made my own tenon though some of the European and Australian users have.

Personally I wont rule out making a tenon for a special occasion or if I ran out and needed to complete something right away but I just cant see myself wasting my time making tenons.

If you really like the Domino for the time savings and in my case, my time is very limited, why would I spend that time making tenons?...not worth it to me.