Festool Domino Review

Thanks Bill. Great review.:thumb:

I'm going to be gluing up a table top tomorrow, without a domino:eek: , and if it doesn't go well, I suspect to utter a few choice expletives after seeing how well it works with the domino!:rofl:

I wish there was a way to go deeper than 28mm. That may be limiting for a lot of the work I do (e.g., benches, larger tables). Let us know if you hear of a workaround:rolleyes:

Russ,

Thanks and yea, it ain't cheap. As a hobbyist, my personal philosophy is to "buy what makes you happy"

To some, spending that much for a tool would cause them to have buyers remorse every time they looked at it. To others the cost would be immaterial. It is such a personal thing that I try never to talk about cost in a review. I'd hate to taint someone's opinion, good or bad, based on some totally subjective rating I included in the review for "value". I try to give them the facts and let them make the value call.

Russ,

Thanks and yea, it ain't cheap. As a hobbyist, my personal philosophy is to "buy what makes you happy"

To some, spending that much for a tool would cause them to have buyers remorse every time they looked at it. To others the cost would be immaterial. It is such a personal thing that I try never to talk about cost in a review. I'd hate to taint someone's opinion, good or bad, based on some totally subjective rating I included in the review for "value". I try to give them the facts and let them make the value call.

Bill,

About the only tool out there that engenders more subjectivity in regards to price is the SawStop.

Greg

Bill,

First I just wanted to say that your review was well written and well thought out.

I've been very interested in this machine since it can dramatically speed up small projects such as chairs and living room tables, and what not.

Im not sure if I'd use it for beefier projects or not, though because I am worried that the size of the dominos just isn't enough even though you could put a lot of them together.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter though. If I get it, I will figure it out in when the time comes.

My question is, have you tried to make your own tennons for it? Do you think that the time it would take to make them would be worth the price you would be saving or would you just recomend buying them in mass quantities?

Also Im not so sure I like the idea of using beech tennons on a Maple or Oak project, let alone exotics like Ebony or Purple Heart.

Honestly, and unfortunately, most of my work is unimaginative and made out of pine and ply, not by my choice, but by my clients' requests. But I still like to be prepared for the unusual.

Allen,

No, I have not made my own tenon though some of the European and Australian users have.

Personally I wont rule out making a tenon for a special occasion or if I ran out and needed to complete something right away but I just cant see myself wasting my time making tenons.

If you really like the Domino for the time savings and in my case, my time is very limited, why would I spend that time making tenons?...not worth it to me.

Very good point Bill, as obvious as it seems, I havent thought of it that way.

I guess if you want to go through the trouble of making loose tennons you may as well go through the trouble of making them bigger and making mortises to match them.

I still can see myself using the domino on about 80% or my projects, if not more.

Thanks for the answer Bill.

Last edited:
Bill,
Thanks for a great review. Based on it, and several others, we have ordered two for the PFW school, and can't wait to get them in house. We have even scheduled a course which includes them, so I know when they arrive I will have no choice but to learn heck out of the tool, pronto, which I deem a plus.

Bill, read your excellent review last night but didn't get around to posting a thank you until today. It is really conflicting to read about the Domino. If I could be sure it would completely replace the mortiser and biscuit jointer I don't think I would hesitate, then you think, "what about chairs?" Does anyone know/have information on strength comparisons between floating tenons and other joinery methods??

Thanks, I havent made any chairs with it but I gotta think it will be outstanding in that regard. The mortises are tight and the Tenons are strong and twice or more the width of dowels and they mechanically prevent rotation of the joint. It seems to me that a chair would be a perfect application for the Domino.

Cecil,

I think it can completely replace the biscuit joiner...hence my Dewalt up for sale :)

As for the Mortiser, I have a Shop Fox mortiser and I can still see uses for that especially for through tenons but a drill and a chisel would suffice if one didn't already have the mortiser.

I'm typically a believer in keeping tools I've invested in because usually when I sell an item I immediately need it as soon as it is shipped. I'm very confident that will not be the case with the Dewalt.