Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet doors and shop made tenon jig

Cabinet doors and shop made tenon jig

I started milling out door frames today for our kitchen cabinets. Got all the pieces cut and would normally just use a dado jig to nibble away the material on each side of the tenons. This time I decided I would try doing them with a tenon jig. The blue borg used to carry the delta tenon jig. I ran up and it seems that they no longer stock it in the stores. Well, I had just watched a show recently where they built one that straddled the fence. I considered that, but decided I'd build one that I could attach to my Jessem miter instead since I can loosen the rear knobs and slide the fence left and right. Here's what I came up with...

I've got a spare toggle clamp around somewhere that I'll add later.

Oh, and here's the progress on the cabinets.

Got a few more to glue up, need to get more clamps. Also got some drawers built today...more on those later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20110129_172701.jpg   IMG_20110129_172721.jpg   IMG_20110129_172802.jpg   IMG_20110129_125453.jpg   IMG_20110129_172740.jpg  

IMG_20110129_205558.jpg   IMG_20110129_205620.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Looks like that jig's working just fine for ya.

As it happens, I just ran across a page about a home-made, precision tenoning jig that you'd get a kick out of. Skip to the bottom and watch the video:

This guy has come up with all kinds of home-made, precision stuff. Probably overkill for most of us. But if you're interested, you should watch the video for his screw-advance box joint jig too:

Wild!

Nice work on the tenons Darren, and Kerry I love those complex jigs!

I bought a tenon jig when I made the pilgrimage to Grizzly last year and tried for several days to get it set up square to the tablesaw and finally gave up. I guess I should get it back out and try again.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Darren, I like your idea of fastening the jig to your miter fence . Nice job on the cabinet doors.

Nice job Darren!

What cabinets are these for?

Can't wait to see the drawers and how you did those. I'm going to be making a bunch soon and I keep going back and forth on how to do them...

Thats a pretty good idea there Darren. You know you only need one set of clamps to glue up all the doors. You use a 23 guage pin nailer and 1/2" pins at the joints on the back side of the doors.

Nice Alan. Have to file that one away for when I need to use it...

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Nice job Darren!

What cabinets are these for?

Can't wait to see the drawers and how you did those. I'm going to be making a bunch soon and I keep going back and forth on how to do them...
    These are for the kitchen cabinets I built a while back. Will do some more pics on the drawers, I'm building them with 1/2 sandiply from the blue borg with 1/2" bottoms for the large drawer on the left and some pull-outs below. Also have some to build for my drill press cart as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Thats a pretty good idea there Darren. You know you only need one set of clamps to glue up all the doors. You use a 23 guage pin nailer and 1/2" pins at the joints on the back side of the doors.
    I've been wanting a pin nailer for a while, looks like another excuse to get one...good tip Alan.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice idea Darren
    Faith, Hope & Charity

If it's of any use Darren the harbor freight pin nailer is better than the porter cable one I have. When it shoots the pin it doesn't leave a mark like the pc one does and it's about $75 to $100 cheaper depending where you buy it.