Just cleaned up a little...

Brian Altop

I just cleaned up and organized my shelves.:clap: Later this spring I will make cabinets for the shop. :D

micro bev.jpg
I just put a 30* Microbevel on my butt mortise plane blade

Bench 1.jpg
This bench I built in an afternoon, just planned it as I went. It is made up of a 16' Glue-lam beam that I trimed, cut in half and glued together. Since it is pine and soft I added burple heart dove tails every foot or so to keep wear down and to keep the top from bowing. On the underside is some white oak inlays to also keep it from bowing. Works good for being made of scrap wood.

BDH.jpg

This is a close up of the top. I cut holes out for bench dogs and found the pine top was too soft for holding the BDs with out deforming the top of the hole so I put in white oak plugs then drilled them out to 3/4" for my bench dogs. I need to flatten the top and finish the skirt (Jatoba). It's been over a year since I built it so I'm in no big hurry.:p

Shelving 1.jpg

Shelving 2.jpg

I don't chew, nothing against it. My father used to chew Copenhagen and I keep it as a reminder...I do enjoy the occasional cigar though...

Shelving 3.jpg
A pic of a box I made for my saw blades. Lid just slides over the top. The targets where the blades are is where I put my planes for now. The plywood on the shelf is actually an exotic plywood used for cement forms. It seems that as the shop warms up the moisture in the PW condenses on the bottom of the planes and has caused light rust on a couple of them in the past. Now I oil the snot out of them and keep them on the paper so I don't oil up the shelf. I've got to come up with a diff solution.

Shelving 4.jpg

After I get my cabinets built for my customer I will put up more pictures of my shop.:)

As always, any questions or suggestions are more than welcome!:thumb:

Brian

Last edited:
Nice work.....I especially like the fact that you keep a reminder of your Dad...that's really nice of you! Keeps the memories alive and in the front of your mind:thumb:

Looking forward to the pics of the rest of your shop. Common problem among us woodworkers is that the more tools we acquire, the bigger problem it becomes to keep it organized, so that we can find and use them when we need them. It is always interesting to see someone else's space, to see how they deal with this problem.

Looks good. Do you have a basement shop? It sort of appears that way and as you know, basements (at least totally enclosed ones) are not that common around here.

Great idea on the glue-lam to workbench conversion. Did you resaw it to make it thinner? Are the purpleheart strips dovetailed into the top or simply set into a groove?

Looks good. Do you have a basement shop? It sort of appears that way and as you know, basements (at least totally enclosed ones) are not that common around here.

Great idea on the glue-lam to workbench conversion. Did you resaw it to make it thinner? Are the purpleheart strips dovetailed into the top or simply set into a groove?

The purple heart was dovetailed in, cut the PH on the table saw and ran the router against a piece of wood across the bench. Glued it then tried to install it.:eek::doh: I could put the PH in tight to begin with but after the glue I slid it in half way then had to use a small sledge to finish putting it in. Next time I'll leave more room!:D

The GLB is the original 3 1/4" thick, just cut it down two apox 7' pieces and clued them together after running them over the jointer.

My shop is in back of my house. The house has a attached 2 car garage and a detached 2 car garage so when my wife and I bought the house I yelled dibs on the detached one and she got the the one on the house!

Last edited: