What's on your 'to build' list?

Ned Bulken

In between peppering the town with resume's I'm finding I have loads of spare time for thinking about woodworking and/or shop building. What is on your list of Jigs or Fixtures that you've been meaning to build but haven't yet? Just off the top of my head I have the following

• crosscut sled
  • outfeed table (fold down for when it isn't in use)
  • drill/driver holsters/charging stations (thanks to Don)
  • Better push sticks (old ones have done their duty and need replacing)
  • blade and assorted TS tools storage cabinet

just to name a few.

I thought you were going to ask about furniture. :( Several projects there. As for jigs, I just build them as I need them. So not really much.

I need to build an accessory fence for the shaper and cut some tall boards for a tall fence for same machine. Thats all that comes to mind.

Jeff

A longer dado jig for the router. Need to cut four foot long dados in a four by eight sheet for a cabinet. Too large for the cabinetsaw and do not have a set up for the EZ.

Last edited:
A new outfeed table for the tablesaw. I built a temporary one after my shop roof flattened out my old one.:doh:

With drawers and shelves underneath for storage. A 3x8' outfeed table eats up a lot of floor footage, so I might as well take advantage of the space under there.

.... Support stand for an old bandsaw that I am reconditioning. To hold not only the bandsaw on top but the motor underneath as well, (adjustable). I was fortunate in that I picked up an old used 1725 RPM, single phase motor for little or nothing :).

hand tool storage unit
miter saw station
TS outfeed table
assembly table
better cross cut sled
sharpening station
wall hung clamp storage system
wood storage
sheet good storage
small power tool storage (nailers, drills, etc)
ts ZCIs
blade storage
Shop sink countertop/install sink
glue/finishing storage cabinets
tapering jig

I'm sure I'll come up with more after I hit submit.

Hanging cabinet for hand tools
Barrister Bookcases for wood books and mags
Better push sticks
Holder for sandpaper
Horizontal router jig

I've got a longer list of projects on the bulletin board in the shop, but I'm too tired to get it, been milling lumber all morning for a dining table top. Big, thick heavy pieces.

hand tool storage unit
miter saw station
TS outfeed table
assembly table
better cross cut sled
sharpening station
wood storage
sheet good storage
ts ZCIs
blade storage
tapering jig

Yer gonna be busy :D :thumb:

hand tool storage unit
miter saw station
TS outfeed table
assembly table
better cross cut sled
sharpening station
wood storage
sheet good storage
ts ZCIs
blade storage
tapering jig

[size=+1]I guess I'm done:D - I've already built everything on your list. PLUS: a router table & cabinet, a roll-around shop cabinet, a drill press table (similar to Rocklers, but with small shelves under it), and a drop leaf outfeed table that works on both the TS and the BS. Oh yeah, and about eight feet of upper and lower cabinets.

That's just in the past couple years. Retirement is great - almost unlimited shop time![/size]

Well just about all of the above. :rofl:
Right now I'm working on a base for that corner counter top I drug home.
My new Festool TS 55 will probably be here tomorrow and I'll get back to work on my cabinets.
I want to build sliding trays under my work table for all my Festools and this post just gave me a great idea. Look for a help wanted thread. ;)

DT

Well just about all of the above. :rofl:
Right now I'm working on a base for that corner counter top I drug home.
My new Festool TS 55 will probably be here tomorrow and I'll get back to work on my cabinets.
I want to build sliding trays under my work table for all my Festools and this post just gave me a great idea. Look for a help wanted thread. ;)

DT

Hey Don, let us know how you like the TS 55. I'm a big fan. Matter of fact I was milling a bunch of very rough, ornery lumber today and pulled out the little TS55 to clean it up before taking it to the jointer. Funny how the little guy can do things the big iron can't. With a couple of guide rails, I can put a straight line on a piece, get rid of wany parts, or just shave a bit off so I can see which way the grain runs.

One thing to look out for, sometimes the blade on the TS 55 isn't well adjusted out of the box. If your cut isn't totally smooth, read the manual on adjusting the blade or search www.festoolownersgroup.com for lots of info on how to do this. Mine came out of the box perfect, but I've seen a lot of threads where someone had that problem. Easy to fix:D

[size=+1]I guess I'm done:D - I've already built everything on your list. PLUS: a router table & cabinet, a roll-around shop cabinet, a drill press table (similar to Rocklers, but with small shelves under it), and a drop leaf outfeed table that works on both the TS and the BS. Oh yeah, and about eight feet of upper and lower cabinets.

That's just in the past couple years. Retirement is great - almost unlimited shop time![/size]

Oh yeah, router cabinet. Told ya I'd have more.

Hey Don, let us know how you like the TS 55. I'm a big fan. Matter of fact I was milling a bunch of very rough, ornery lumber today and pulled out the little TS55 to clean it up before taking it to the jointer. Funny how the little guy can do things the big iron can't. With a couple of guide rails, I can put a straight line on a piece, get rid of wany parts, or just shave a bit off so I can see which way the grain runs.

One thing to look out for, sometimes the blade on the TS 55 isn't well adjusted out of the box. If your cut isn't totally smooth, read the manual on adjusting the blade or search www.festoolownersgroup.com for lots of info on how to do this. Mine came out of the box perfect, but I've seen a lot of threads where someone had that problem. Easy to fix:D

I already know how I like it Jesse. I had one and sent it back and got the TS 75. I missed my little guy so much I ordered another one. :rofl:
I love it. I have never seen a saw that light that would give assembly ready cuts, every time! :eek: :thumb:
As a matter of fact, it came today. I didn't expect it.
I would have put it to use right away but today was jointer day for counter legs. :thumb:
Thanks for the heads up. Both the TS 55 and the TS 75 I had came all set up. I'll be sure to check out the new one.

DT

My list is not as long as Jim's (that list would keep my slow butt busy for years!:rofl: ) I picked up a 1.5" thick piece of desk top from a modular furniture close out that I think will make a great router table top. Thinking about a NYW type of base for it. Problem is, I don't have a good router for a table mount right now, so if I built it, it would stand empty for a while. Why does it always come down to $$?:(

Speaking of routers, I REALLY need to build a storage cabinet for router bits. Mine are stored in multiple boxes and in no real order. Drives me crazy:eek: . Don't know if I want to wait until the base cabinet for the table is done or build something smaller to hang on the wall to get me by.

My list is not as long as Jim's (that list would keep my slow butt busy for years!:rofl: ) I picked up a 1.5" thick piece of desk top from a modular furniture close out that I think will make a great router table top. Thinking about a NYW type of base for it. Problem is, I don't have a good router for a table mount right now, so if I built it, it would stand empty for a while. Why does it always come down to $$?:(

Speaking of routers, I REALLY need to build a storage cabinet for router bits. Mine are stored in multiple boxes and in no real order. Drives me crazy:eek: . Don't know if I want to wait until the base cabinet for the table is done or build something smaller to hang on the wall to get me by.

Rennie,
this just means you build it for your current router, then adapt it when you get a bigger router! OR, new tool time!

Rennie,
this just means you build it for your current router, then adapt it when you get a bigger router! OR, new tool time!

The Craftsman 1.5 HP in my current bench top stand is a real bugger to adjust, but you might be right.

Although......... I've been reading Frank's posts about his Triton. Seems a good choice for the bucks! Who knows......:dunno:

Well since I have a new Shop looming in my very near future :thumb: my list is very long, some on the short list include the following.

1. Shop stoage cabinates
2. Outfeed table/assembly bench
3. More shop storage cabinates
4. planer/CMS work station(s)
5. More shop storage cabinates
6. Turning tool storage rack
7. More shop storage cabinates
8. Sanding station.
9. More shop storage cabinates
10. DC system

oh and when I have time I'll build some shop storage cabinates.:rofl:

just to name a few.:D