Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipment Tracking

Shipment Tracking

Am I the only one who does this?

I just love it when a vendor sends you a tracking number so you can watch the progress of the shipment and it finds its way to your house.

On a side note, I've got an order in with Wood Workers Hardware and I've heard that they tend to get things out the door pretty fast, but from what I can tell they don't supply tracking numbers? Got some really good prices on drawer slides and hinges, so I'm not complaining, I just get kind of obsessive wanting to know when I can expect a delivery.

I still do it from time to time. Now that my wife works from home there's no point...I can't get there before she does to hide it anyway. So now it's to know when to expect to be in trouble.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I also like when you can track your package, but sometimes some of them don't do such a great job. I think it is mainly USPS. It has happened several times, but the last was with Tools for Working Wood, where the tracking said the shipper had electronically contacted them, but they have not picked it up. It then arrived 2 days later. I was not worried, because Joel does a good job of getting things out the door.

I guess my point is, you get a little frustrated with some of these express companies when they don't follow through on the tracking. I like when you get updates as it arrives and leaves each facility. I am not impressed when you get a notice that it left its origin and then when it hits your doorstep, after traveling across the entire country.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Yeah, the USPS ones are pretty useless, and any of the 'smart shipping' ones aren't... Those are the ones where UPS or FEDEX handles moving the package across the country then dumps it at the local post office to bring it to you. Hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Yeah, the USPS ones are pretty useless, and any of the 'smart shipping' ones aren't... Those are the ones where UPS or FEDEX handles moving the package across the country then dumps it at the local post office to bring it to you. Hate that.
    The ones handled by (the now defunct) DHL were the worst!

Re: your Woodworkers Hardware shipment - yeah they're usually very fast. Usually same day shipping. I've ordered stuff from them on Monday morning and had it in my hand by Wednesday afternoon - and that's with their "regular" shipping!
    Jim D.

I still track mine. Fedex and ups are just as bad lately on not updating the tracking of shipments!

I always get a number from woodworkers hardware. maybe you spam filter grabbed it? And yes, I watch it every day. The worst is Amazon free shipping. Stuff sits in Earth City, Mo for days.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    I always get a number from woodworkers hardware. maybe you spam filter grabbed it? And yes, I watch it every day. The worst is Amazon free shipping. Stuff sits in Earth City, Mo for days.
    Got the order number from WoodWorkers Hardware, just didn't get any tracking number, and can't find any tracking numbers under the 'my account' area on their site...

maybe you didn't spend enough for a tracking number
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

I like to watch the progress of things in transit. It's odd sometimes how things ship. I've ordered from Amazon before and it will go from Lexington Ky. to Atlanta and then back to me in Tennessee. Go figure