Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas or Pellet?

Gas or Pellet?

I currently have a wood stove to heat my shop. While it is illegal to use it in Tacoma, it is all I've got. I am tired to hauling wood and would like to change so I am thinking of a gas heater or a pellet stove. The gas heater would be ceiling mounted and would give me some more floor space but I already have a spot dedicated to a stove so could easily go with pellet.

Running the gas from the house to shop is easy so not a detractor of this option. I've been reading the shop heat poll and would like to hear some opinions on what you all would recommend.

The actual installation and purchase is about the same and the monthly cost to heat would be somewhere in the same ball park. I really like the idea of being able to keep a constant heat in the shop so finishes could dry quicker over night.

Also my shop is just over 500 sf and the ceilings are 10' high.

Thanks!

For something like that I would think a small through the wall heat / air pump unit would be perfect.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

havnt got one but the pellet stoves do make use of a renewable resource scraps..so that would be better than using a fossil fuel that is at some point in time being diminished. and they can be filled up and ran continuos.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Having had both types of heating units, if each is pretty much even for you on cost and installation I would go with the gas unit. Pellet stoves are great and all... but they are pretty high maintenance (no matter what the sales people might tell you) and who wants to spend a couple hours every week babying their stove so it will work properly? Not to mention the fact that you have to let it go completely out to do said babying.
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Quote Originally Posted by KaLea Thoits View Post
    Having had both types of heating units, if each is pretty much even for you on cost and installation I would go with the gas unit. Pellet stoves are great and all... but they are pretty high maintenance (no matter what the sales people might tell you) and who wants to spend a couple hours every week babying their stove so it will work properly? Not to mention the fact that you have to let it go completely out to do said babying.
    hey sounds like a reasonable reply,, like i said never had one and can see how there could be troubles in the auger sytem or the cleaning of one.. thanks kalea for stepping up and correcting me ..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Brian here is a pic of mine. My shop is 17x21 interior wall to wall and 9ft high at the wall with a cathedral type ceiling above in the peak.

i bought this for several reasons

1) Its a sealed unit. So its solvent safe.
    2) Its designed specifically for garages.
    3) Its insurance approved for the purpose.
    4) Its radiant heat so it heats the tools and machines and they radiate their heat which means once you get the critical mass heated its pretty efficient.
    5) Runs off natural gas but can also be propane.
    6)At the time it cost me around $900 more or less in Canadian with our 13% sales taxes and at a C$=.8 US$ Here is the company if you interested.
    7) A pretty famous sensible woodworking in Canada had one in his shop i figured good enough for him good enough for me.
    8) Pretty efficient and i keep it at lowest thermostat setting in winter. When i go into the shop in a matter of couple of minutes after changing the thermostat i have a nice toasty shop.
    9) Its sized so i dont have to have it running all the time. Bit like trying to tow a heavy trailer with a 1600 engine instead of a V8.
    10)Installation was a breeze but i still had a gas guy do it. I dont like gas.
    11)The minimum clearance under it is 7ft and it can be hung tilted from the side of the wall. I know another guy that has one mounted like this.

I have no condensation in my shop and my tools dont rust through winter and i have water in my cooling trough next to my grinder all the time.

BTW my shop is well insulated with 6 inch wall stud bays filled with R22 and double layered 5/8 drywall also engergy efficient windows properly sealed around the edges. Ceiling is also same as walls. So my shop is tight.

So far i have had it a good few years and its absolutely fine and reliable. If we do get a cold spell in the middle of the year for some reason i can turn it on with a switch in a second.

cheers

We run a corn/pellet stove in the house. While it doesn't supply all our heat, it handles the vast majority of it. It is definitely more work than a gas furnace, but it only takes a few minutes each day to fill/maintain it. Once a week I clean it thoroughly and have that down to about 1/2 hour time. Bottom line is what do you want??

I heat my shop with wood and really appreciate "wood heat". It is a mess and a bunch of work to gather, cut, split, stack, and haul the wood. But I like wood heat over my propane furnace back up.

If a wood stove is illegal in Tacoma wouldn't a wood pellet stove also be illegal?????
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

A 'regular' wood stove or fireplace is pretty inefficient and kicks out a lot of particulate's into the air.

Pellet stoves and high efficiency fire places kick out way, way less.

When we have our pellet stove running, you can't see anything coming out of the chimney.

I'm currently using wood heat and will probably change to pellet next year. I'd need to either get a second meter or cut up my driveway to get gas up to my shop, so cost is a factor, but I think I'd rather have gas.

One thing to consider is the storage of pellets. I'm sure you're using some room for wood storage inside, but would give you some of that sqft back if you didn't have to store them.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

For many years we used wood to heat. ( I cut and split the wood from the land we lived on at the time.) Ours was an air tight Vermont Castings stove. Very efficient. For wood heat I don't think it could be beat. But, as Father Time creeps closer I decided to equip our newly purchased abode (about seven years ago) with something requiring less work, maintenance and clean up. We got a small unvented propane gas stove that resembles a Ben Franklin fireplace.
    Wise move. It works went the electric is out. Clean. Heats beautifully and is quite reasonable to operate. I can't comment on whether it is cheaper than pellets or not, just dunno.
    And since Father Time has struck a couple blows, I couldn't lift the 50# pellet sacks if I needed to. e.g. my water softener needs salt right now.
    Think ahead. Accidents happen. (right Vaughn?) And illness respects no person regardless of age.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire