W.I.P. Kitchen Island

Beautiful. I like the way the legs stand away form the cabinet on the sides. The commercial places integrate the legs into the main piece. This adds more detail. Sure is a classy piece. Just beautiful.

Thanks Guys! Swmbo delivered the granite to a shop today, picked out an edge she likes, going to be another $280 to cut to size and grind the ogee, & polish. Pick up next Monday! That will put cost of the island at approx. $700., Not bad considering that the granite top is almost $400. Now that top, regular price is closer to $900.00, so picking up a remnant in Florida for $95 was a good idea. Except now she is wanting to do the rest of the kitchen!:dunno:

Thanks Guys! Swmbo delivered the granite to a shop today, picked out an edge she likes, going to be another $280 to cut to size and grind the ogee, & polish. Pick up next Monday! That will put cost of the island at approx. $700., Not bad considering that the granite top is almost $400. Now that top, regular price is closer to $900.00, so picking up a remnant in Florida for $95 was a good idea. Except now she is wanting to do the rest of the kitchen!:dunno:

bryan i have been away from my post but wasnt this black in the beginning or is this another one:huh::huh: either way it sure looks nice saw one of those air assited sprayers and that fella liked it as well..whats this dura varn your using? and why post cat over pre cat better use of the material and no shelf life problems?

bryan i have been away from my post but wasnt this black in the beginning or is this another one:huh::huh: either way it sure looks nice saw one of those air assited sprayers and that fella liked it as well..whats this dura varn your using? and why post cat over pre cat better use of the material and no shelf life problems?
The website pic I used as a model was painted black. Post cat Duravar by ML Campbell is a tougher finish than the standard Magnalac. I don't want any complaints , that the finish is coming off. I used a 1/2 gallon in one day for the 3 coats, with nothing left over.
more info here

http://www.mlcampbell.com/products/categories/clear_topcoats/solvent_borne/postcatalyzed/duravar_plus

No granite yet, but here is the island with a particle board top in our kitchen. I built the kitchen & hand railings for our new house 7 yrs ago. I guess Swmbo has been talking about and island ever since, but I don't recall any of it, LOL!
IMG_4457-1.JPG

IMG_4462-1.JPG

Last edited:
looks good bryan,, and now i am sure she will find another item yu have no memory off either that needs to be done,, that hasnt been touched in years:)

Looks great, hopefully you can relax now.
Swmbo has me ripping apart an antique chair she bought a year ago, but other projects came 1st.:huh:
Old wood is brittle! Slowly getting the loose pcs glued up, repaired, re-enforced.