Steel City Drill Press

Drill press info thanks!

Allen a Big thanks for the redirection:thumb: ...answered all my questions, and helped me make up my mind! Don't know why my search didn't turn up the info.
Also, thanks to all who contributed to the thread!

Jim,

Sometimes the search function does not work very well on these forums and I remembered this one and just posted it real quick. Are you going for the Steel City one?

Allen
Actually I guess the search fault was mine, wasn't in the proper location for the search...being in the general woodworking area and not tools.
After reading all the reviews and comments and seeing the great set of photos that were posted, I think I can't go wrong with it! I've got a bench Shop Fox now, but have really been challenged to drill some of the holes...some I just had to rely on a hand drill to accomplish. I'll have till March 31 to get it done to take advantage of the rebate...but its a sure thing!

Personally, I can't see the expense. A great many people love them. I have one on my Ridgid MS and I've never aligned it. With or without it I'm going to align that wayward saw tooth with my cut line. I like some improvements but that's one I haven't found a need for. Depends on what you do I suppose.

DT

One thing I have found really useful is the quill lock on my Steel City press. I can bring the bit right down to the piece or table, lock the quill in place and then make any minor adjustments.... no battery needed...:eek:

:rofl:

One thing I have found really useful is the quill lock on my Steel City press. I can bring the bit right down to the piece or table, lock the quill in place and then make any minor adjustments.... no battery needed...:eek:

:rofl:

That "quill lock" feature is the BEST thing about my OLD Craftsman DP. I couldn't be without it. If I have a super critical hole location to drill, I center punch the spot, (metal OR wood), then put my router centering pin in the chuck and run it down into the punched hole and set the quill lock which holds the piece in place as I clamp it down then release it, install the bit and drill the hole. I don't know why MOST Mfr's have dropped this feature, but at least Steel City has it, and I think maybe One of Delta's also. I would sure like to have a new Steel City DP, also for the long quill stroke, and especially for the LOW speed capability for using Large Forstner Bits.