Thanks for the memories

I want to extend my heartfelt thanks for all the personal tips, encouragements and kudos I've received plus the enjoyment I've had in reading the posts over the last few years.

This will be my last post, I'm leaving the Forum, I'm going to give up my woodworking.

I made a post sometime time ago regarding my eyesight. I have wet macular degeneration in both eyes. My left eye is completely gone and my right is fading fast. I've had 46 injections, one every 6 weeks, trying to arrest it. There is no possibility of a reversal. At each injection the doctor just shakes his head and says he can't understand how I'm seeing anything at at all.

Anyway it's gotten to the point that I'm having problems reading a tape measure. I'm having so many problems seeing that I can't seem to mentally focus on any projects. The scrap pile keeps getting larger, so I figure it's best to give it up before I do damage to another part of my body.

Once I quit feeling sorry for myself I'll take an inventory of tools etc and have a big garage sale. I'll post it here first just in case I have something someone would want.

Once again thank you all for everything.

Oh, by the way last night Butte MT windchill hit 32 below zero

Jiggs Elphison

I''m truly sorry to hear this Jiggs. Maybe you will stop by occasionally and say hello. I somewhat understand your situation since my Dad and mother-in-law suffered with it. I wish you the best.

Jiggs please take care of yourself, for certain you will be missed here by all of us. Understandably you need to de what is best for you. Take care and be safe:thumb::thumb::thumb:

i too will miss yur post and the sig line as well purgatory:) my dad has what yu have and so far is doing well but may have caught it sooner than yu might have.. yu can still visit ,,yu dont need to leave just becasue the tools areleaving your knowledge and ideas are still there!!!! and like darren said if we can help let us know!!!

Jiggs i am truly sorry to hear of your situation. :( I would urge you to consider this.

You can still hang about in the clubhouse here. I know its not woodworking itself but you at least close to it and can share in the banter.

I know it takes some sight to see on the monitor but depending on how much eyesight you have left you can use the maginfier in windows and bump up the font size to make it easier to read.

Bottom right hand side of my screen allows me to take my screen up to 400%.

I know that makes zero difference if you cannot see at all but it might help if you have some eyesight left.

Keeping involved here will give you some contact with other woodworkers too even if you cannot contribute like you would like to.

Jiggs, I have always found your posts educational and hilarious. I am so sorry to hear about the eyesight fading. Others have stated so many things so well, I do want to reiterate, even if you aren't active in your shop, you don't have to leave. Visit with us. Share projects you have completed. Joys and sorrows, easy projects, fun projects, heirloom projects, anything, share with us. We will be happy just visiting and sharing in your wisdom. :thumb::thumb:

you still have alot of experience that has tons of value to alot of people.
just so you know something, you provide inspiration to alot of people with limited physical abilities, although they might not speak up, but Im letting you know Im one of them..
Best of luck. keep punching.

Jiggs, I echo what the others have said. I'm really sorry to hear of the eyesight problems. My Dad suffers from something that is at least similar if not the same. Optic nerve so damaged, his Dr. has said the same thing about his sight for about 5 years now. He has given up driving, and given up most all of his tools. Can't read any longer, but gets the books on tape delivered to him...guess it's going digital now instead of tape, but I think he has both.
Take care, and please visit here when you feel like it. Remember, once a Family member, always a Family member! Jim.

All of us here have worked at developing the skill & knowledge necessary for something we love, making things. As you demonstrate, sometimes our bodies let us down and prevent us from enjoying the fruit of all that effort. I think it is obvious that we would like you to still participate in the discussions here if you can, but understand if you cannot. I wish you well Jiggs.

And Jiggs, having lived in Butte for a short time, I thought it was closer to Purgatory.