Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus

I'm pretty sure I saw one of them thar critters in the woods outside of Portland, once.

Course, that was after I ate one of the local mushroom omelets... ;)

And that's how I learned a powerful life lesson: never accept an omelet from an Oregonian! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

(and afore any natives get riled up, my sainted grandmother was born in Portland in 1899! ;)

That's a riot. If I had read that article cold I might have half believed it.
But you can believe crabs large enough to attack and kill dogs. My daughter-in-law had one for dinner last week in Vanatu. She said it was delicious. They are for real. Their pincers can cut a broom handle in half. Their only diet is coconuts.

Attachments

• CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 38
Now that's one serious crab!! When I was in Okinawa the crabs would periodically come ashore and inland then back out to sea. I think it was part of the breeding cycle.:dunno: They weren't very big, maybe 3-4 inches, but there would be hundreds of them. Really a weird sight.

Hey...don't laugh...it was so cold and foggy (for California) that we had a Yeti show up for dinner last week...my camera battery was dead??:rofl::rofl:

Vaughn I am gonna use that on my son.:rofl: He is very much part of the dumbed down society and believes i am part of a conspiracy to subvert his mind when i try to educate him to the better.

Case in point. Broken hockey stick senario.

Convinced loml to make him pay ( at last:champagne::bliss:)
Of course he needs ride to store.

Enter store. must be 1000 hockey sticks. Probably all come from same tai chi factory.

No more is wood acceptable heck these youngsters only accept stuff good enough for pros.:D:crazy:

Ok sticks range from $100 up to $260 or even more. :crazy:

I spot a stick on sale $56 right size for him too not many are 6ft 4 on their feet so with skates even higher.

Noooooo wrong name and wrong price. :eek:

So lots of :blah::blah: to bleeding heart mom and for the first time he is getting nowhere. :bliss:

Retort is with lip on ground, leave it i will use my old short half broken stick.

Cool i think lets go to the game. Nah now we played our hand and he lost he capitulates and settles for $56 stick again. Dad finds stick in bunch where sale price has not covered standard price and finds stick is previously $159. Show to dumbed down son and now he is :bounce:

The marketing is so powerful no common sense would work. So the fact that he can now boast and gloat that he has a new $159 stick even though its not the right name has made him happy.

Of course when you bring out any evidence to support rational thought well you become the evil empire set on upsetting their life.:rofl::rofl:

Some times i wish i had never had kids or gone down that ilse.:D

Interestingly enough when we arrived here a $15 wooden stick was fine.:eek:

With this kind of thought process imagine what they believe off the internet. I bet we could get them to believe the earth is flat with the right kind of promotion and reality show.:rofl::rofl:

Get the belt sander out Rob...print a decal...few cans of Krylon...happy kid. You should see what comp swim suits cost...$650 for college swimmers at Nat'ls...just 1 suit.

That's a riot. If I had read that article cold I might have half believed it.
But you can believe crabs large enough to attack and kill dogs. My daughter-in-law had one for dinner last week in Vanatu. She said it was delicious. They are for real. Their pincers can cut a broom handle in half. Their only diet is coconuts.

The local natives on Guam often hunted the coconut crabs there... I spent 18 months on the island and only saw one... one of my strikers brought a small one (about the size of your hand) into the radio shack one night to play with to relieve the boredom of the midnight watch... until he poked it with a pencil and the crab clipped it neatly in half...

Marketing is everything isn't it. Drink the right beer and the hot chicks will be hanging on you. :huh: I just need to find the right idea to market my woodworking wares so I can charge $300 for a $30 pen. Boy if you happen to have one of MY pens novels will practically write themselves. :rofl: No way could you do it with a plain old pencil. Isn't that yellow color on them pencils just plain unsightly?

I have a friend that sells custom knives. He keeps some just for show. They are not for sale though he takes them to shows and has them on his web site. These are indeed special works of art made from rare and exotic materials. Of course if a client really, really, wants one of them, after he shows severe reluctance, and squirms appropriately for a time he might be convinced to cough up a price. The art is in figuring out how high he can go. :rofl::rofl::D

Great post Vaughn. I may have to spring it on my kids to see how savvy they are.

Last edited:
I think that there are some people that have a lot of spare time to devote to build up such hoaxes.

What is sad is that there are even more people that actually believe them. This one is not particularly well done, specially the photoshoped pics.

I remember another hoax called " bonsai kittens" that raised great controversy and even was reported to police by animal protection organizations.

Apart from that the whole thing is quite amusing.