Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: polelathe

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,220

    polelathe

    I came across this and thought it was interesting. Here's someone who uses the old style "polelathe" (that she built) to turn wood.....Do any of you do that?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,008
    I don't know of anyone here who uses one, but they are still being used by a handful of Neander turners. They're also called spring pole lathes. Another similar device is the treadle lathe (much like a treadle sewing machine).

    Here's a fun video pitting electric power versus foot power...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDgIG...eature=related
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Goodland, Kansas
    Posts
    4,834
    Really neat and I may have tried one 20 yrs ago.
    Bernie W.

    Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,828
    I have a friend who works summers demonstrating using one. He has the strongest left leg in the county.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I don't know of anyone here who uses one, but they are still being used by a handful of Neander turners. They're also called spring pole lathes. Another similar device is the treadle lathe (much like a treadle sewing machine).

    Here's a fun video pitting electric power versus foot power...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDgIG...eature=related
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I have a friend who works summers demonstrating using one. He has the strongest left leg in the county.
    And when he swims, he's always going in circles, right?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Remlik, Virginia
    Posts
    88
    I tried to turn on something similar and found that it takes too much coordination and balance. :-)
    Barbara

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    And when he swims, he's always going in circles, right?
    No. But he does running.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •