Whats next?

I wouldn't be surprised.

Satellite connections (which I used to have) had Fair Access Policies that after so much bandwidth usage per month your speed got knocked down to dial up. It was a huge pain.

I think there's a big shift coming in the way people use the internet, from just surfing, to getting all their streaming video entertainment over it, just like they were using cable.

It will be interesting to watch over the next few years.

We've already got that now. Comcast has a Fair Access Policy that limits a household to 250 GB. Basically if you go over that, they disconnect you or make you upgrade to a business package. My first month with them I came close, but was running carbonite on my laptop, which ate half of that, the backups I download from my web hosting and here take a good chunk each month as well.

There's been discussion on it for a while. As time goes by people are using more and more bandwidth, so charging based off bandwidth will put the cost of upgrades on the people that are driving the need. It's about like paying for your cell phone by the minute instead of a landline with unlimited local calls free.

This is more an issue of competition - you've got lots more competition than we do, so we're getting hosed more on internet.

But the good news is that the gov't has ordered a review of this decision, so hopefully it'll be tossed.

So what happens if you have a wireless router and some kid is sitting in an apartment in your building or a car across the street using your internet to down load his movies on his laptop. It has happened to us before. How are the people that are the victums going to be treated?

So what happens if you have a wireless router and some kid is sitting in an apartment in your building or a car across the street using your internet to down load his movies on his laptop. It has happened to us before. How are the people that are the victums going to be treated?

If your wireless router is being hijacked, I'd say it's time to re-think your password on the router. ;)

saw this on the canadian forum that they are gonna be charged for internet use??? is this headed our way as well?
LINK

May be a moot point... the internet(ICANN-)has run out of ISP numbers.... :dunno:looks like they're going to have to change the platform as new people come on line... according to what I read, we had a mere 4 billion numbers and they've all been used... the new platform will have one trillion or so... :type:
:dunno:

May be a moot point... the internet(ICANN-)has run out of ISP numbers.... :dunno:looks like they're going to have to change the platform as new people come on line... according to what I read, we had a mere 4 billion numbers and they've all been used... the new platform will have one trillion or so... :type:
:dunno:

You're thinking IP (Internet Protocol) addresses, not ISP (Internet Service Provider) numbers. ;)

As I understand it, the switch to the new system (IPv6) is not going to be much of a problem for users, since IPv6 has been supported in Windows and Mac operating systems for years. Linux, too. However, ISPs and people running other large networks will likely have some added expense getting things switched over. IPv6 has been around since about 2000, but there hasn't been any incentive for the Internet providers to spend the money for the change. Now they will be forced to do the upgrades.

Since our provider uses our land to broadcast to the valley and makes money off of it, hopefully we'll remain with free access. He only hassles us now and then if we leave something like remote cameras going that eat up a lot.

What do you mean hopefully!? I would hope you have a darn solid rental contract in place with them! You should be making money!

(My F-I-Law used to manage a 10 storey retirement building, tallest for blocks around, and they had contracts from two different cellular companies to put cell towers on their roof. The first one wanted an "exclusive" contract, but my FIL wasn't falling for that. )

If your wireless router is being hijacked, I'd say it's time to re-think your password on the router. ;)

I was living in a town house comlex at the time Vaughn and had some university students living next door and no matter what I was doing they were getting in to my server and using my system. I was getting lots of letters about it but changing the password did nothing.

I was living in a town house comlex at the time Vaughn and had some university students living next door and no matter what I was doing they were getting in to my server and using my system. I was getting lots of letters about it but changing the password did nothing.

Must be a few years ago... Every modern router should have the ability to do MAC address filtering. You don't get on my wireless unless I have pre-registered your laptop's MAC/Hardware address in my router. That's before you even try to guess my SID (I don't broadcast it) or my password.

It was about 4 years ago Art when I sold the town house and I have not recieved any notices since. I have no idea what has changed in the routers and security since then as I have not had any issues with it since.