Tool Storage

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
For all of you design experts in the family:

100_0817.jpg

100_1221.jpg

100_1176.jpg

This is the worktable I built to use in my shop as a run off/work table.
What I want to do is plug the ends and back with nice looking plywood and trim it up. (I've also decided to replace the top with 3" oak)
I would like to install sliding trays for all of my Festool Systainers. I want the trays to extend out far enough to lay the lid back against the table and still support the weight. This way I've got my most used tools right there at the bench.
Building the trays is no problem but I sure would like comments and or suggestions on the best way to go about slides. I have never mounted bearing slides. It shouldn't be too much of a problem I wouldn't think but what would you folks use for the sliding mechanism and how would you mount them

Thank you in advance

DT?

aint got no pics

well don here is a rednecks version of design 101, first i wouldnt use oak on your table, i would use 2 sheets of ply and one sheet of masonite when the masonite gets beat replace it as for closing the backs and sides not sure on that on i have a similar table and use the heck out of it from both sides so maybe you might want to put some sliding shevles on both sides as for the ball bearing slides thay arent that bad but you could use some DT slides from rockler and theyre cheaper mount them on the side of the drowers and wax well. solid as a rock. but you could reduce some of the load by letin someone else watch over all those festools:rofl:

Don, I am sure that you will find this rolling bench very handy.

About the drawers for your Festool stuff, just last week I built a bench/cabinet/shelving thingy and installed some drawers to hold some of my systainers.

Here are three photos of a portion of the unit:

1) Showing two systainers sitting in their drawers:

systainer drawers -1.JPG

2) Showing two empty drawers:

systainer drawers -2.jpg

3) Showing the mounted drawer sliders:

systainer drawers -0.JPG

Here is another photo showing my homemade “sysport” and in which I used the same drawers and hardware:

systainer drawers -3.JPG

I used 14” Self-Closing Full-Extension Slides from Lee Valley (see: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43614,43616,50508&p=50508). They, are very easy to install, they work very well, and they only cost $8.40 (US) a pair if you buy them in bulk (which I did).

well don here is a rednecks version of design 101, first i wouldnt use oak on your table, i would use 2 sheets of ply and one sheet of masonite when the masonite gets beat replace it as for closing the backs and sides not sure on that on i have a similar table and use the heck out of it from both sides so maybe you might want to put some sliding shevles on both sides as for the ball bearing slides thay arent that bad but you could use some DT slides from rockler and theyre cheaper mount them on the side of the drowers and wax well. solid as a rock. but you could reduce some of the load by letin someone else watch over all those festools:rofl:

Good idea on using both sides Larry, As you can see in that picture I made a glue-up of flat 2X4's for the top of the table. I was going to replace it with oak only because I have a big pile of 3X3's that came out of construction packing that are over 8" long. I had intended to put the masonite on top of the 2X4's. The sheet that I am using there is just to keep the 2X4 top clean until I get some of this more important stuff finished. I needed a work table like NOW! :). Maybe I'll just put an oak border on it raised just enough to slide the masonite into.
The only reason I did the glue-up was for practice. (it was my first) And to see how good a job the DowelMax would do.
I'll check Rockler on those DT's. That might be the way to go.

Would you really watch over my Festools for me and relieve all this stress? :eek:
Whatta Guy! :rofl:

Thank you Larry for the input.

DT

Say Don wouldn't it just be easier to get a taller ladder?:rofl: :D

I built a cabinet & used 100LB full extension 26" glides.

Hi Bart and Thanks.
I have a lot of drawers to make and they will be my first experience with that too. I have the whole procedure in my head but practical application is another thing entirely. :(
I'll enjoy the work but I'm sure they won't turn out as nice as what you have there. Who knows? With practice.... :dunno:

DT

Don, I am sure that you will find this rolling bench very handy.

About the drawers for your Festool stuff, just last week I built a bench/cabinet/shelving thingy and installed some drawers to hold some of my systainers.

I used 14” Self-Closing Full-Extension Slides from Lee Valley (see: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43614,43616,50508&p=50508). They, are very easy to install, they work very well, and they only cost $8.40 (US) a pair if you buy them in bulk (which I did).

That's just what I was looking for Frank!:eek:
Very close to the idea I had cooking. I am saving these pictures. Very nice work! :thumb:
I was thinking that building the boxes and sliding them into the table would be the way to go.
Thank you

DT

DT

Last edited:
That's just what I was looking for Frank!:eek:
Very close to the idea I had cooking. I am saving these pictures. Very nice work! :thumb:
I was thinking that building the boxes and sliding them into the table would be the way to go.
Thank you

DT

DT
I am glad to have been of help Don. If you would like exact measurements, please let me know.