Box Top Question

I've been thinking a lot about boxes lately :rofl: :rofl: for no particular reason, and I have a question about the tops.

Other than rabbeting the edges of the box top and the place it meets on the box so they fit tightly, what other ways are there to make a top fit snugly on the box? I'm sure there are some--I'm just not familiar with them....:D :D :D

A solid top with a rabbet around the underside so that the top fits the box like a (square) cork. A flush meeting with hinges for alignment, etc., a complete overlap like the top to a (now old fashioned) shoe box, a slider in a groove . . . how'm I doin'?

Attachments

• A-B4-Finish-2.jpg
    A-B4-Finish-2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 32
  • LaceBEbox 006.jpg
    LaceBEbox 006.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 34
  • BEmapleShedua 2.jpg
    BEmapleShedua 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 31
  • coachbox-002.jpg
    coachbox-002.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 32
  • MomsDay2009-sm.jpg
    MomsDay2009-sm.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Cynthia, Have you thought of making half lap joints between the upper and lower. It would work if you made a finger jointed corner and half lapped each opposing edge before putting the corners together. Normally you would assemble the box and then cut the top free of the bottom and get rid of an entire finger joint to give you and almost invisible joint. With careful set up, you could achieve the same thing. I think.

I have not tried it, but I have seen boxes made with the half lap joint at the meeting point of top and bottom.

Just a thought.

See how easy it could be Chuck? Why don't you join in, still a little time before the deadline to join... :thumb: